The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

assigning tasks for a day Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a former Franklin Covey PC user and the feature I love and I think is missing in omnifocus is the ability to plan a day or a week.

The ability to take tasks from mulitple projects and then have an area where I could view them, and prioritize them for the day and or for the week.

I have multiple distractions at work and this would allow me to plan my days work based on the priorities from mulitiple projects. Then when I complete a task I could mark completed and it would be marked completed in the project folder too.

Any suggestions on how I could get omnifocus to do this (daily/weekly planning?)

thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericks View Post
I'm a former Franklin Covey PC user and the feature I love and I think is missing in omnifocus is the ability to plan a day or a week.

The ability to take tasks from mulitple projects and then have an area where I could view them, and prioritize them for the day and or for the week.

I have multiple distractions at work and this would allow me to plan my days work based on the priorities from mulitiple projects. Then when I complete a task I could mark completed and it would be marked completed in the project folder too.

Any suggestions on how I could get omnifocus to do this (daily/weekly planning?)

thx
What about using flags?

One thing I am exploring right now is putting in a snippet of text which I can then search for (or even create a perspective to save that search). For example, I have a list of goals and objectives I have to give to my boss. This year I have made sure they are all in OF and next to each project name I have included "[G+O]". I have a perspective which searches for [G+O] so I can see all my goals and objectives in one place and see how I am progressing with each one.

I am also playing around with doing this on a weekly level. Right now what I am doing is making an action group which starts with "[NG]" and then lists the goal I want for that project for the week. Anything from "Call Bob" to "Make sure I complete this project now!". Then I move all the next actions I want to complete for the week into the action group I created. I then switch to my "Next Goals" perspective, searching for all incomplete actions containing [NG] and I have my list of what I need to do. This is a lot of work for a daily list, but I use it to make my weekly list then flag things for my daily to do lists.

I'm still experimenting with this, so if you ask me in a month if I'm still using it, I may not. But it's something that seems to have potential. If nothing else, the fact that a perspective can save a search is very powerful. Sort of like having smart folders. Combine that with another tip that you can save perspectives outside of the OF Library folder, and you can have automatic project lists (or based on other criteria) whenever and wherever you need them.

Eric

P.S. Now if Omnigroup would just add boolean searching, we really could have a smart folder solution.