The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for iPad interface feedback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodiebrad View Post
I was not aware of this. I thought the whole "4 second video" was being presented as a beta or even gm product. You guys said it would launch in June 2010, and it is now July 3, so i think that was a safe assumption to make.

Going forward, I highly advise not releasing anything to the public that isn't polished from a graphic design perspective. In this age of iOS, the public not only demands functionality but a slick UI for their $20 or $40 or whatever.

If i worked at Omnifocus, i would quickly release a still mockup of what the finished product might look like. We don't care so much about videos, we know how the iPad works. We want to see nice mockup, with graphics, and icons, not some 4 second mess of a video (no offense, but that video was a mess).

Well, I'll reserve judgement, and give you guys the benefit of the doubt, because i love your iPhone and iMac versions.
OmniGroup generally makes it very clear what it is that they're posting. I was one of those not particularly liking the UI they showed on that video, but if you follow the thread from the start (I know, lots of reading), you'll see that the OmniGroup is very responsive to users and actually did make it clear that it was only an early mockup. In fact, one of the reasons that OF iPad seems to be delayed, if I read the official info correctly, is precisely because they are working on UI... which also explains why they can't/won't release a new mockup.
Sure, it takes some time to follow the different communications from Omni as they use their blog, Twitter, and the forums to communicate: but it means that they actually do communicate with users lots, and they're as transparent as can be. If you're ever in doubt about anything, they make it very, very easy to contact them (email and phone) directly, and I've always found them to be amazingly responsive.
I understand that it might have sounded like they were going to release the product in June, but in fact what they did say was that they were aiming at a June release, which isn't quite the same thing.
I personally value the openness of OG regarding their products, and I've found them over the year to be very good at improving them, including by changing some of the original elements. Which is why I personally think it's still a very good thing that they release even crappy 4-secs videos of unpolished stuff. I trust them enough to know that the finished product will become much more polished in a reasonable amount of time.
In the same vein, my personal opinion is that I don't really care about seeing other mockups at this point, I'm just impatient (but reasonably so) to see the actual product on the iPad. And I'm willing to wait in order to NOT get a compromise on quality–I already shelled out probably as much money as I will end up paying for OF iPad on individual to-do apps on the iPad, which all look very slick, and which I keep opening once in a while just to remind myself how beautiful they look, because I do not use any of them otherwise.

No jasong - technically he's correct - ask an iPhone/iPad developer. The entire Mac OS X functionality is not built into iOS as you would know if you had read Apple's documentation.

Last edited by KiltedGreen; 2010-07-11 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: Refer to original poster's name

I really like the interface of OF on the Mac - after years I'm comfortable with it's clean, functional and simple design and don't want to jar into another interface world every time I use it on my iPad. The iPhone versions was just what I'd hoped for on that device. As Apple wrote in 'Inside Macintosh Volume 1' (almost 30 years ago!) " A little consistency is worth a lot of correctness" and that's still as true today. So, please take advantage of what we're familiar with. I'm using the iPhone version on my iPad and would like something that works along those lines, but obviously enhanced given the speed, power and space. You got a whole lot right on the iPhone version

For me, the main issue with the iPhone version is that it offers no 'Weekly Review' and so for me that is a crucial feature for the iPad version. I feel that I can't use the iPhone version as I'd like because of that one thing.

Please allow an option to remove/filter/toggle nearby context availability. At present on the iPhone version, because 'Always available' is always available I have to wade through it when I'm out and about when I want to see things which are actually physical rather than conceptual places nearby.

As to all those nested folders: perhaps a visual representation of the folder structure - the way Apple's mail shows a pile of emails for deletion - would be much better so that the indentation is not required but becomes a visual background. Also, I use the folders and sub folders for the convenience of keeping things together and they don't have to be represented in a nested fashion on screen to reinforce that and so another option is a breadcrumb trail as the Finder uses which shows the path to a folder would do just as well. Allow touch navigation for any of the items and you're done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-07-11 at 11.54.58.png
Views:	769
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1478  

Last edited by KiltedGreen; 2010-07-11 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: Clarifying something I wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

For me, the main issue with the iPhone version is that it offers no 'Weekly Review' and so for me that is a crucial feature for the iPad version. I feel that I can't use the iPhone version as I'd like because of that one thing.
I agree that a mobile review functionality would be a great feature, and have requested it in feedback. I usually do incremental reviews, not massive review everything sessions, and reviewing a project or two is truly a task that can be done anywhere when one has a free moment. The app needs to help me find which project I should review next, and keep track of what I reviewed for this to be useful, though, or the only thing that will ever get reviewed is the first project in the sidebar.
Quote:

Please allow an option to remove/filter/toggle nearby context availability. At present on the iPhone version, because 'Always available' is always available I have to wade through it when I'm out and about when I want to see things which are actually physical rather than conceptual places nearby.
Have you considered just taking off the always available attribute? Only look at the nearby/location display when you are looking for things that are not always available, and suddenly the AA attribute is unnecessary. You could set up a limited-use context for putting in a select group of actions that you really want visible all the time. I don't see why you would want conceptual contexts to show up in your nearby list, and it sounds like you don't want them there either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Have you considered just taking off the always available attribute? Only look at the nearby/location display when you are looking for things that are not always available, and suddenly the AA attribute is unnecessary. You could set up a limited-use context for putting in a select group of actions that you really want visible all the time. I don't see why you would want conceptual contexts to show up in your nearby list, and it sounds like you don't want them there either.
That's definitely worth exploring and may do just what I want. However, I'd still like to suggest that a 'correct' solution is provided as part of the app rather than me having to tweak things to compensate in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post
That's definitely worth exploring and may do just what I want. However, I'd still like to suggest that a 'correct' solution is provided as part of the app rather than me having to tweak things to compensate in the background.
If you set always available as the location setting for the context, it shows it as always available, whatever your location. If you don't want a context to have its items always at the head of the list, don't set that attribute. It isn't used for anything else, so you aren't losing functionality by not taking advantage of it. If you don't want it, tap the little x in the circle next to the location field when editing the context and that context's actions will never show up in the nearby list.

By all means, send in a feature request with Send Feedback if you think this is something that should be added, but be prepared for a long wait...