The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Start a task as late as possible? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've got this scenario: I have a milestone called Project Finished which moves around based on its dependencies. I'd like to have a QA task that has a fixed duration (6w) that needs to start as late as possible, finishing at the same time as my Project Finished. Is this possible? I've only been able to adjust this task manually, moving it forward as the Project Finished milestone moves forward.

thanks
Collin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandyck
I've got this scenario: I have a milestone called Project Finished which moves around based on its dependencies. I'd like to have a QA task that has a fixed duration (6w) that needs to start as late as possible, finishing at the same time as my Project Finished. Is this possible? I've only been able to adjust this task manually, moving it forward as the Project Finished milestone moves forward.

thanks
Collin
Scheduling a task/milestone to start "as late as possible" is a feature request in our database. I will add a vote to it for you.

A finish to finish dependency between the QA task and the milestone work allow you to tie the end of the QA task to the milestone. If you create this dependency, make sure you reset both the milestone and QA task's schedule in the "Task : Information" inspector so that it starts "as early as constraints allow".

Thanks akwong.

Does the OmniGroup have any plans on opening up this tracker to the public so that issues may be voted on? I think that would be really useful.

-Collin

Nope, no plans to open our database to the public. Mostly because we don't have enough people to keep up with developing our "real" apps, plus add a web interface to our bug database. We also aren't certain we want ALL that info made public.

Add another vote for the "as late as possible" feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc144
Add another vote for the "as late as possible" feature
You got it kc144.

I too would like to be able to change the scheduling strategy generally, but at a minimum to be able to change it from "as early as constraints allow" to "as late as constraints allow".

Thanks

Me too. I often build projects (large meetings and events, usually) that have a sequence of events leading up to the end of the project. "As-late-as-possible" would be so hugely useful.

That and embedded projects.

I vote for this feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyspero View Post
I vote for this feature!
Click your heels together three times, then say "there's no place like home!"

After you do so, the next time you read the OmniPlan 2 documentation, the feature will magically appear. Enjoy!