The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trouble moving actions around Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I find it difficult / tedious to move actions up and down. Here what I want to do easily:

- Add an action to a Project
- Often, I want the new action to be at the top of the list, but it defaults to the bottom (I can understand why it doesn't go to the top, but it's inconvenient to have to always move it from dead last.)
- When I review actions, use the mouse to easily move it up or down *at the same level*

Unfortunately, I find it almost impossible to use the mouse to move an action and not nest it as a sub-action within another action. I learned the "u" and "d" keyboard shortcuts. It's good, but tedious to always move new actions from the very bottom up to near the top.

Any tips?

Thanks,
-- Joe

How are you adding these actions? If you have the project displayed in the right hand side of the window, you can just click on the row handle for the first action, then press shift-return. That will get you a new blank action in the first spot (or in general, immediately before the row you had selected).

Having put the action in the right place to begin with makes any difficulty with moving less of an issue, but just remember that the vertical line at the right end of the indicator drawn when you are dragging a row about should be to the left of the checkbox or disclosure triangle of the row above where you are trying to place it — it shows where the row handle will end up, I think.

Thanks,

Your first suggestion to use shift-return works just fine and I'll use it, though I need to be in that project to begin with. Typically, I'll add actions ad hoc from possibly any view.

Your second doesn't make sense to me yet. When I draw an action, the line that appears above the action I'm dragging doesn't show anything special on the right, at least that I can see. A indentation indicator will appear at the left side to indicate how it well.

Of course, this is all very hard to communicate. If there was a picture or two or short video somewhere, it would help. As it is for me anyway, I really don't know how to use the mouse successfully for this kind of move.

Thanks,
-- Joe

Okay, I guess I wasn't very clear there. I meant the vertical line at the right end of the arrow thing drawn on the left (the black portion of the line, not the gray).

This will end up at the same level:

This will end up nested beneath:

So, when dragging, put the indentation indicator where you want the row handle to be, and the right thing should happen.

Thanks, yes, that does help! The pix make a huge difference.

-- Joe