The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Filtering Flagged Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Running v77.0.96726:

I'm trying to figure out if this is a bug or the intended action...

I just stated the practice of flagging projects. At the beginning of the week, I went through and flagged the projects that i felt I wanted to make progress on. Some were top level projects, some were sub-projects. Now that the week is over, I have completed some of the sub-projects that were originally flagged.

Here's the problem: When I am in planning mode, I set the filter bar to display flagged projects (Active, Ungrouped, Unsorted, Remaining, Any Duration, Flagged). The problem is that the flagged sub-project (which is now completed) makes the top level project display in the filter. I feel that it should not.

Confused? Here is more info...

Top Level Project
--Sub-project (flagged)
---Task @email

So I completed the flagged Sub-project. I check it off as completed. Then when I apply the Flagged filter, the Top Level Project is included in the filter although there are no active flagged tasks or sub-projects.

I tried adding a new task to the project...

Top Level Project
--New Task @phone (NOT flagged)

...and applied the Flagged filter and Top Level Project is still included in the filtered results.

So is this the intended filter action or is this a bug?

Did you "Clean up" the completed action so that it is no longer visible?

When I do that the parent project does not show up.

If I filter, and show tasks of any state (so the completed flagged action group is visible again) then it shows up in the filter flag.

Basically, if your view is set to show the flagged task, it will count the parent project as flagged.

-P

I'm having a similar problem to jpepper.

In planning mode I have my filters set to flagged and remaining, but I still see empty projects that previously contained a flagged action. (As in there is no visible action that meets both "remaining" and "flagged" in these projects). This is kind of distracting as most of my projects at one point had a flagged action in them, and they're all listed (unless completed) in what I wanted to be a drastically filtered down list. (and yes its all cleaned up)

Similarly in context view all actions with no context appear in when the filter is set to flagged/remaining. Granted, I should be better about assigning contexts - but when i'm in the zone and ready to complete some actions, I don't want to be thinking about maintaining that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyMke View Post
In planning mode I have my filters set to flagged and remaining, but I still see empty projects that previously contained a flagged action. (As in there is no visible action that meets both "remaining" and "flagged" in these projects). This is kind of distracting as most of my projects at one point had a flagged action in them, and they're all listed (unless completed) in what I wanted to be a drastically filtered down list. (and yes its all cleaned up)
As described, that sounds like a bug. Please let our tech support ninjas know about the problem by sending email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com so we can look into this in more depth.

Quote:
Similarly in context view all actions with no context appear in when the filter is set to flagged/remaining. Granted, I should be better about assigning contexts - but when i'm in the zone and ready to complete some actions, I don't want to be thinking about maintaining that list.
It sounds like you might want to just hide all of your No Contexts items, which you can do by clicking on "Contexts" in the sidebar.

I believe that I have figured out at least a piece of this puzzle. I have a similar set of view bar filter settings and have seen the same issue. What I figured out tonight was that the cause is a "hard" flag set on a completed action. If I view the completed actions and then manually remove the hard flags, then the empty project disappears from the view. It appears that the view bar settings are acting like "remaining" OR "flagged" rather than "remaining" AND "flagged".

Feedback sent also.

I just came here to report this bug. Bump....

Steven

vamp07: reporting bugs on the forums doesn't work very well. If you want to be sure that we notice your bug report, send us email. Bug report emails get into our bug system. Forum posts generally don't get into our bug system.

I just sent this in as a bug although I assume it has already been reported.

Steven

I am also having the problem of seeing empty projects listed in filtered flagged view.

Yep, I have the same problem

A perspective with
Ungrouped, Unsorted, Remaining, Any Duration, Flagged

keeps showing projects that don't have any remaining items - ie empty projects, simply because they *had* an item in the past that was flagged.

Regards,
Jon