The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGraffle 6, Application Support resources, and the Sandbox Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Since OmniGraffle 6 is considered a different application entirely than version 5 and earlier, existing installed Stencils, Templates, preferences, etc. will not come over automatically from a previous installation.

These resources need to be in OmniGraffle 6's Sandboxed container in order to be seen and used by the application. For those of you who are daring enough to traverse this in the Finder, the location is as follows:

~/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniGraffle6/Data/Library/Application Support/The Omni Group/OmniGraffle/

If you've purchased from the Mac App Store, that location is:

~/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniGraffle6.MacAppStore/Data/Library/Application Support/The Omni Group/OmniGraffle/

So, going this route, you should just be able to copy over the Stencils and Templates from your OmniGraffle 5 install (located at ~/Library/Application Support/The Omni Group/OmniGraffle/) and afterwards, be good to go.

If you're uncomfortable using these rather byzantine paths in the Finder, you can also use the new Resource Browser to add existing resources to OmniGraffle 6.

From the Gear Menu at the lower right hand side of the Resource Browser (available from the File Menu), there's an option to "Add Resources to Library…" and by pointing that at your Home Folder, you should pick up all available OmniGraffle Stencils and Templates therein. NOTE: This action will copy over *every* OmniGraffle Stencil and Template that may be in the directory you've chosen, regardless of whether or not they are in Application Support or not.

ANOTHER NOTE: This action will not copy over any native Visio stencils or templates, those will have to copied over by hand or converted to the appropriate OmniGraffle format.

Another interesting by-product of the Sandboxed environment is that those Stencils and Templates that come 'bundled' with OmniGraffle 6 are written out to the Container, instead of being read from within the application's file wrapper.

That means that if you have no need for any resources that come with the application, feel free to move them to the Trash via the Resource Browser, or you can also show them in the Finder from that interface and manually move them to the Trash.

Joel,
I just tried to follow the directory path you listed above for the resources to import to OGP6.
That structure doesn't exist on my MacPro.
No .sb file or folder for Omni, lots of others though.
Could it be because I upgraded to Mavericks?
Was trying to figure out why OGP6 cashed whenever I tried to import the old resources.
I also found that (once I mounted my backup drive) that I had to import each type of resource. I couldn't just point OGP6 at the entire OGP5 resource folder and import all the resources.
When I finally got the stencils imported, OGP6 crashes as soon as I try to open one.
Any ideas?

Last edited by dghpts; 2014-01-30 at 02:12 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Another interesting by-product of the Sandboxed environment is that those Stencils and Templates that come 'bundled' with OmniGraffle 6 are written out to the Container, instead of being read from within the application's file wrapper.

That means that if you have no need for any resources that come with the application, feel free to move them to the Trash via the Resource Browser, or you can also show them in the Finder from that interface and manually move them to the Trash.
NOPE, that causes a crash as well!
Well done!