The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniweb and Gmail: a couple of problem. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it just me or also yourselves have the same weird effect on Gmail visualisation: in Omniweb on any view of inbox, trash sent etc...if you want to get to see the date of message or if it has any attachment you have to scroll way way down to the right, in Camino for instance, the dimension is automatically resized to fit the dimension of the current window.
Please see attached image for explanation.
Omniweb

Camino

Do you have any hint or workaround for this?

Second thing: although I have set Omniweb to be recongnised as Firefox 2 for Mac, only few items of the rich text bar (i.e. bold, italics and underlined) are working, all the others (i.e. font color and type, etc.. are just not working) any idea about this ?

Many thanks to all for your help!

Both are issues with all WebKit based browsers at the moment (i.e. Safari, Shiira, OmniWeb). The JS handling of WebKit isn't as compatible with GMail/Google (and vice versa) as Gecko based browsers (Firefox and Camino) at the moment. I don't know if the very latest nightly of WebKit is better, but it is something that Apple need to correct before OmniWeb can have full functionality with GMail (or something that Google needs to alter in their own code to be more compatible with WebKit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
I don't know if the very latest nightly of WebKit is better
Sadly not...

Thanks for your reply, but how come Safari is not giving me these problems? (except for the rich text formatting)
Not to be caustic, but im my opinion a browser with so many little bugs and imprecisions like Omniweb should not be priced and should be distributed as freeware (also to widen the possible feedback from users)
Omni Group could well make a living on the other good products of its line which are far more accurate than its browser.
Camino, with the due respect to the forum I am writing on, is far better as it is now and with a little tweak and few more functions is going to be even a Safari killer.
My two cents!

The version of WebKit that OmniWeb is based on is newer than the one in the current version of Safari and it has some regressions in the way it handles some things. For your second point - try identifying OmniWeb as Safari rather than Firefox and it will behave the same way as Safari does - no rich text formatting controls at all. Conversely, if you identify Safari as Firefox it will probably exhibit the same semi-implementation of rich text formatting controls etc as OmniWeb (assuming that the version of WebKit it uses is current enough... I haven't tried it myself, but the equivalent WebKit build as the one OmniWeb uses does).

The reason the you're seeing the problem above in OmniWeb and not in Safari is because you're spoofing as Firefox. If you identify as just OmniWeb (or Safari as Jonathan suggests) you wont have this problem. Things should work just fine if you identify as OmniWeb you just loose the Gtalk functionality.

Thanks everybody for your replies... I have turned back to Omniweb and now visualization problem has gone (other very well problems still persisits though)
I am really looking forward to a major update of OW 'cause I have to say I really like this browser (expept for the tiny and thin size of the font in the bookmark bar which is barely standable ... hell ... make it 1 point bigger like any other browser was it too difficult ;) ? Hope next version will allow me to finally switch from Safari and Camino.