The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner uses Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm finally starting to get OmniFocus to a point where I use it more and more often. This got me having a poke around, and I noticed OmniOutliner. I can see how this can come in useful for writing papers/blog posts/books etc, but I'm unsure as to when to use this or OmniFocus. What are the main usage differences between than and how are you using it ?

I'd love to hear real world uses from people.

Cheers

OmniFocus is for getting things done, OmniOutliner for writing outlines. OmniOutliner allows you to write more than one outline on your computer (duh! I know), while OmniFocus works on your (single, unique to you) Things You Need To Do.

Happy to help! Both applications use columns of data in an outline format, but OmniFocus is designed around a specific task (helping you remember things you need to do and pick which to do next) while OmniOutliner is a general-purpose document-creation application - you can use it for a wider range of activities.

While you could set up an OmniOutliner document as a to-do list and do some OmniFocus-like activities in that document, OmniFocus wouldn't work as well for taking lecture notes in a class, writing a screenplay, or tracking all of the movies and books you own (which are examples of some of the tasks that folks have used OmniOutliner for).

It may be helpful to download OmniOutliner and this sample document pack we have on our website: it shows a couple other examples of things you can do with OmniOutliner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Happy to help! Both applications use columns of data in an outline format, but OmniFocus is designed around a specific task (helping you remember things you need to do and pick which to do next) while OmniOutliner is a general-purpose document-creation application - you can use it for a wider range of activities.

While you could set up an OmniOutliner document as a to-do list and do some OmniFocus-like activities in that document, OmniFocus wouldn't work as well for taking lecture notes in a class, writing a screenplay, or tracking all of the movies and books you own (which are examples of some of the tasks that folks have used OmniOutliner for).

It may be helpful to download OmniOutliner and this sample document pack we have on our website: it shows a couple other examples of things you can do with OmniOutliner.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the demo files.

I'll weigh in with an example - my current paper that I am writing.

I have OmniFocus full of the tasks I need to do:
Project: Results
- review notes for quotes on X
- review notes for quotes on Y
- Draft section on A
- Draft section on B
- Edit Results Section
- Email to colleagues for feedback
- Incorporate Feedback

In parallel, I have several OmniOutlines for the project that keep some of my working notes in order. I have:
- an outline of the paper, that I use as a table of contents, but also tracks word and page counts and who is the "owner" of what section
- an outline of quotes that has columns to track who said what quote
- an outline of issues to discuss and if they've been incorporated or not.

There is some overlap (i could do the last outline in OmniFocus, probably), but that is how am using the two today.

Of course OF also has all my OTHER stuff in there as well...

HTH

-- Morgan