The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Someday/Maybe Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How are people implementing their Someday/Maybe actions?

There doesn't seem to be anything built in to OF, or am I missing something?

You can place projects On Hold. Use them for someday/maybe.

Or keep a separate list and create a repeating action in OmniFocus to review the list. I keep many of my someday/maybes in an OmniOutliner Pro outline. Eventually I'll set up the repeating action with a link to the outline file. For now I just habitually review it.

Another option is to create a Someday/Maybe folder in OF and set it to be not active. You can then place someday/maybe projects there. You'll still need to develop the habit of periodically reviewing them, as Brian points out.

I currently use two levels of Someday/Maybe. I use On Hold for projects that are "Someday Soon", and Someday/Maybe folders for more "out there" ideas. I'm not sure the latter is an improvement over OmniOutliner for this purpose. Somehow I felt more free to brainstorm when my Someday/Maybe items were in a separate application. Though that may just be the weight of knowing (thanks to OF) just how much I've already committed to.

Curt

I also use On Hold in OmniFocus and a Someday/Maybe list in OmniOutliner Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillgod View Post
How are people implementing their Someday/Maybe actions?
I started out with a Someday/Maybe folder in OmniFocus but I'm just now in the process of moving the contained projects to more subject-oriented folders and setting them to "on hold". The filtering works well and it makes more sense to me now that projects should be kept in relevant folders and just hidden when not needed.

Also, I think that having some projects as "on hold" and putting others in Someday/Maybe means that a little brain bandwidth is used in deciding where to put projects or where to find them, which seems to go against the grain of GTD. I'd aim to do one or the other, but not both. YMMV.

You can also put a + at the end of your context to mark it as 'inactive'. I have three of these, later-maybe +, projects-next + (for ideas that will become projects, but later) and waiting-on +.

I think that's something from kGTD, don't know if it's documented anywhere. But it works :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottser View Post
I also use On Hold in OmniFocus and a Someday/Maybe list in OmniOutliner Pro.
How are you moving items from OOP to OF? Is it cut and paste or is there a more elegant option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillgod View Post
How are you moving items from OOP to OF? Is it cut and paste or is there a more elegant option?
I make scripts available for moving items in either direction. Currently the scripts don't transfer contexts and date info. Per the topic of the thread, transferring additional data is on my Someday list.

Curt