The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Time and Attention Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm thinking about re-thinking my contexts after reading this blog post by Sven Fechner.

http://simplicityisbliss.com/2011/06...e-on-contexts/

It manages to put into words exactly how I feel about physical contexts no longer being appropriate, especially for someone like myself that works from home (@work and @home lines are blurred) and has most of my tools available most of the time.

What is important to me is choosing what to do based on my energy level and the time I have available, so the time and attention contexts make perfect sense to me.

Does anyone have any experience of using similar contexts?

There have been some discussions on the topic as some users struggle with creating meaningful contexts. This is a link to a discussion here where I added my thoughts on how I am using contexts.

I found that article interesting as well. A question I often asked myself was what is the difference between being @office & @computer? If I'm in the office i have the computer in front of me. About the only exception would be when I'm physically in a meeting with someone. And in that case there won't be any possibility of performing a next action unless it is an agenda item related to that person

But the problem I have is figuring out what contexts will work for me that don't become such big catch-all contexts that they lose utility in deciding which n/a should I do now.

Looking at his contexts, it struck me that they were less universally understood like @email and @call would be and were in some ways more personal. His @short dashes might for me be better expressed as @quick hits which indicate to me something that can be done in a short period of time without a lot of thinking plus research etc.

Part of the problem is that there is some judgment going on as well which you don't see when the context is place or tool specific.

So I'm thinking there is actually some serious consideration that needs to go into the name I give the context

Here's how one of the OmniFolk breaks down the 'Computer' context: http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/...athan_context/