The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Start Constraint Question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've created a sample project that has a task that has to start at a specific time. There are tasks both before and after this start-constrained-task, and I'm having difficulty setting it up.

The project is to install a software patch on a server and want to minimize the impact to users. I'll stop the server at 11pm, but I want OmniPlan to tell me what time I should start my prep work (unzipping the patch, logging into the server, etc).

All of the tasks are simple dependancies:
Login to server --> Unzip patch --> Stop Server --> Install Patch

I've designated overtime hours for both the project and myself to cover the time I'm working tonight.

Project Settings
-- I've set the Project Dates field to "Specific"
-- I've set the Project Direction to "Forward"
-- I've set the Project Start to 6/9/2012 11pm (this may be my issue)

"Stop Server" Task Settings
-- I set the Start Constraint to 11pm tonight.
-- I set the task's Direction to "ASAP"
-- OmniPlan sets the task start date to 6/11/2012 11am

I don't understand why the start date is calculated for Monday. Where did I goof it up?

Last edited by MacDork; 2012-06-09 at 06:37 AM..

I think I figured it out. I created a new project and avoided playing with the project settings and simply placed the restraint on the "Stop Server" task, and everything else fell into place.

I'm not yet sure what I did in the first one that made things work out the way I did, but I also changed the calendar to allow regular work hours to cover every hour of every day.