The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Couple of questions- iCal and task dates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So having recently got my boss to pay for this software... I have a couple of questions.

1 - We have around 20 projects running concurently using the same small group of people. Therefore, I am using OmniPlan to ensure that we are not double booking resources. At present, I am guessing that the only way to get this kind of company wide overview is to put all of the projects into one file (in different groups). Have I got this right? Are there any stability issues with this?

2 - Our production team like to have their schedule inserted into google calendars. I have found that I can export the iCalendars as part of the full export but I have two issues:
a) When I re-import the iCal files into google, it duplicates the entries - so any workaround for this and
b) In the video tutorial you can limit the data sent out in the report with filters, but I cannot see these in my installation of OP

3 - Because of the way I am using OP (all projects in one file) when I add a new task it puts it at the start date for the project. Is there a way of changing this so it defaults to today

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmonkey View Post
b) In the video tutorial you can limit the data sent out in the report with filters, but I cannot see these in my installation of OP
View->Filter Tasks is the command you use. See "Filtering the task outline" in the Help command for more details.

Quote:
3 - Because of the way I am using OP (all projects in one file) when I add a new task it puts it at the start date for the project. Is there a way of changing this so it defaults to today
Not really, but you don't want it to do that. Setting the start date on a task by any means other than linking it to resource availability or start/finish of other tasks anchors that task at a specific point in time and it won't shift around as the rest of the project changes. Assign a resource to it or make it a dependency of some other task and the leveling process will put it where it belongs. Newly created tasks default to a scheduling method of "as early as constraints allow" and if you haven't put any constraints on by assigning resources or dependencies or a scheduling constraint, that's effectively a task you could have done the day the project started. If you are determined to have these tasks "floating" at the current date, you can select a whole bunch of them at once and use the inspector to set a start constraint of the current date. Now you'll have a big cluster of unconnected tasks in the middle of the chart instead of at the left edge, which is an obvious improvement :-)