The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Warn before closing a windows with multiple tabs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This option works when closing a window either via the [x] or through Cmd-Opt-W. But it does not appear to work when quitting Omniweb. Surely it should do the same action?

If your workspace is set to save changes, then you aren't closing the window to quit.

And if your workspace doesn't save changes, then you should really be warned about all windows, not just the ones with multiple tabs (I would think). Quitting is more like hitting Command-W a bunch of times than like hitting each close box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
...And if your workspace doesn't save changes, then you should really be warned about all windows, not just the ones with multiple tabs (I would think). Quitting is more like hitting Command-W a bunch of times than like hitting each close box.
Agreed, this has been one area I've caught myself thinking just for that moment; "...auto-save is on, right?!"

If you don't ship with Workspace saving on... why not?! ;)

Seriously, if you don't then there should definitely be a warning, and it might be worth that dialogue mentioning Workspaces with a checkbox to turn on saving, or a button to open the Workspaces window, to introduce the user to the feature.

If Workspace saving is the default, maybe there could be a first-run dialogue/window that introduces the concept, and offers a button for more info since it's such a central feature of the app..?

I think workspace saving should be defaulted to off. The reason being is this is a somewhat unique feature to OW and beginning users may be caught off guard by it.

Additionally, no other browsers (AFAIK) warn about open windows when quitting. Firefox does warn about open tabs when quitting, however. Somewhat of an annoying feature as when I hit command+q, it's because I want the app to quit, not because I want to be prompted with a dialog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Additionally, no other browsers (AFAIK) warn about open windows when quitting. Firefox does warn about open tabs when quitting, however. Somewhat of an annoying feature as when I hit command+q, it's because I want the app to quit, not because I want to be prompted with a dialog.
Camino also warns you about tabs.

I certainly wouldn't mind a warning (that could, of course, be shut off) that would ask you if you're sure you want to quit if the workspace isn't set to auto-save. It's happened a few times that I'd made new workspaces and not set them to auto-save and lost the tabs after quitting.

Yeah. I REALLY dislike prompting like that. Games are the worst. Perhaps the best feature in BF2 is the "don't ask me again" checkbox that spawns from the quit button. I use F10 in CS:S all the time (instantly quits.)