The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

release notes??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
1) We can do a day's work.
2) Or we can do 90% of a day's work(or less), and also write up what we did.
3) Or we can do no work for a day and build a script that will automatically tell you what we did. And then do no work for another day while we're testing it...

The "message of the day" is our attempt to compromise between states 1 and 2 and avoid getting so tired of writing release notes that we fall into state 3.
*release notes are usually between 2-3 lines! therfore your answer
is very lame...don't be Lazy.

zx

zxspectrum: If all you're looking for is 2-3 lines, would just trying to more consistently update the "Message of the Day" be enough? Or is there some reason you need it called "Release Notes" to set your mind at ease?

I would love 2-3 lines a day, every day. And if things are set up well, this should take about 10 minutes to do -- less if you are a faster typist than I am.

Even a 1-liner "minor stability improvements" would let us know you hadn't all decided to go mountain climbing for the day. <grin>

--Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPf
I would love 2-3 lines a day, every day. And if things are set up well, this should take about 10 minutes to do -- less if you are a faster typist than I am.

Even a 1-liner "minor stability improvements" would let us know you hadn't all decided to go mountain climbing for the day. <grin>

--Liz
I think that they have done a tremendous job so far, they are quick to release updates, clearly working long hours and weekends (from some of the updates) and if they want to go mountain climbing for a few days they sure should. Just as long as they come back safe and sound!

:-)

No updates for the past couple of days!

I can't believe this thread is still going. I'm always surprised at how many updates come out at *all* hours of a 24 hour cycle. During WWDC it dropped down and MOTD wasn't updated, but come on--that is only to be expected. Even an attendee at a large convention like that is going to be super busy all day, let alone a high profile software company with a booth and all.

I think the tone of some of the posts here are supremely ungrateful. This isn't official releases going on here. These are development builds! You can't expect full documentation for every compile, let alone demand it and call developers "lame" for not spelling out every function they tweak. You can't even expect disclosure of important changes. We are being given a peek at the development process, entirely at our own risk. This is plastered all over the download page in bright red, with fanciful icons. If you do not want to risk running bleeding edge, wait until OF is published. Part of bleeding edge is understanding that you are going to have to intuit new and changed features without documents or even 1-liners explaining them.

Now obviously communication is good, and when there is time, it only helps OF to have informed alpha testers. They know this, they aren't stupid, so don't demand it as if they do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV
I can't believe this thread is still going. I'm always surprised at how many updates come out at *all* hours of a 24 hour cycle. During WWDC it dropped down and MOTD wasn't updated, but come on--that is only to be expected. Even an attendee at a large convention like that is going to be super busy all day, let alone a high profile software company with a booth and all.

I think the tone of some of the posts here are supremely ungrateful. This isn't official releases going on here. These are development builds! You can't expect full documentation for every compile, let alone demand it and call developers "lame" for not spelling out every function they tweak. You can't even expect disclosure of important changes. We are being given a peek at the development process, entirely at our own risk. This is plastered all over the download page in bright red, with fanciful icons. If you do not want to risk running bleeding edge, wait until OF is published. Part of bleeding edge is understanding that you are going to have to intuit new and changed features without documents or even 1-liners explaining them.

Now obviously communication is good, and when there is time, it only helps OF to have informed alpha testers. They know this, they aren't stupid, so don't demand it as if they do not.
1. "ungrateful"??? - we are testing the app for free!!! + 1.0 will cost us full
price!

2. how can we be affective with bug-reports if we don't even know what was change...

3. "full documentation"??? - seriously, try to relax..it's only 2-3 lines.

zx

Please bear in mind that writing notes which are meaningful to people other than other developers on the project can take a bit of a mental shift from writing code, so while it's only a few lines it can interfere with a developer's flow (and therefore their productivity) while they're coding.

That said, we certainly do understand the utility of providing those notes and we didn't intentionally stop including them: they just disappeared because I'm the person who usually writes them and I've been busy with some other projects for the last week or so (playing catchup on lots of fronts after returning from WWDC).

Our release notes are up to date again now.

All I'm looking for is a bit of two-way communication. If the ninjas want to go mountain climbing, they certainly deserve the break -- but I'd rather not be wondering if my system is down because I'm not getting update RSS's.

Personally, I'm not looking for much. A daily MotD list is plenty:
• worked on secret feature
• changed icon, corrected UI typos
• more talk about Mail interface
• broke early for a volleyball game

The above would make me happy. It shouldn't be too hard to write something of this nature once a day.

And guys ... you are taking the 4th off, aren't you?

--Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPf
And guys ... you are taking the 4th off, aren't you?

--Liz
Yes, we're taking the 4th off. We probably also won't do much tomorrow (Friday) because, see, there's this Apple store across the street, and we thought we might go hang out there, for no particular reason. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
Yes, we're taking the 4th off. We probably also won't do much tomorrow (Friday) because, see, there's this Apple store across the street, and we thought we might go hang out there, for no particular reason. ;)
It's only a phone. Alright an Apple phone, but still just a phone ;-)