The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Info Management app that complements OF Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
New to OF and although I find OF perfect for task management I am still in need of an app to manage my information. I have looked at several (devonthink, yojimbo,etc) to find a good complement(integrates) with OF. Although I have found several threads throughout the forum discussing various apps, they seemed specific to issues.

My goals are to find an app that:
  • works well with OF; available scripts, import export, does not duplicate functionality
  • does not require that I maintain both a file directory structure and a file structure within the app
  • an app that would allow me to import existing directory structure
  • cloud sync and has an app for mac, iphone and ipad
It would be very helpful in making my decision if anyone has feed back on what they are using or specific links to discussions ( not issues).
Thanks in advance
 
To manage your info you have a comment field. You can drop in it whatever you want email (it will link the task to the email) files (it will create an alia or a copy of the file, you can even write notes in it. I personally do all this i manage all my stuf in OF which is a kind of central software of all my datas on my computer. I also add many notes and comment about things including checklist, summaries about GTD, Reference doc, and doc about my projects. It took me time to make my own organization (about 2 years) but now it works perfectly. May be you may take ideas from david allen last book making it all work and the omnifocus free GTD manuel.
 
I tend to keep the majority of my Notes and References outside of OmniFocus.

Currently I have the following setup:

. Evernote to capture all my references, clippings, and random captures of my everyday. I also sometimes use AwesomeNote on iPhone since it offers a nicer User Experience for Note Taking and directly connects with Evernote

. Notebooks on iPhone and iPad to take robust notes (I can then send any notes directly to OmniFocus if I decide that the note should be associated with a task. I can either include a link if I am still working on the note, or Send the text of the note directly to OF)

. On the desktop side of things, I use Notational Velocity to connect to my iDisk where I store my Noteboooks notes (it allows me to edit my Notebooks notes from the desktop)

Now, my ultimate dream is to have a totally agnostic Notes system so I can take notes and then be able to link 1 Note to N# of Tasks and have all three versions of OmniFocus connect to it.

My current frustration is that I could take all my notes in Evernote, but the iOS versions have no way of connecting to the link I create in the Desktop version. In addition to this, the Notebooks app is only good for the iOS device, and the linking to a note only works in iOS.

I really wish Notebooks was on the desktop, or that OmniFocus played nicer with Evernote (the way Nozbe does).
 
I've been using Devonthink since 2005. My main database is about 10 GB, and contains some 17 million words. It's not terribly exciting to look at, but each time I mistake that blandness for lack of functionality and try to use the Finder instead, I find myself quickly running back to DT Pro Office.

The best thing about the DT-OF relationship is Rob Trew, a poster to these forums who tinkers with Applescripts that link DT and OF exactly as you might hope they would be linked.

- you're in DT, looking at something that needs to be turned into a task. There's a Rob Trew script for that! It makes a task in OF, complete with clickable link back to the item in DT.
- You've finished a project, and you want to file all your OF material into DT along with the other reference material you accumulated around the project. There's a Rob Trew script for that!
- You're in OF, thinking that you really need to nut this job out further. There's a Rob Trew script for that! It creates an OmniOutliner file in a DT folder corresponding to your OmniFocus project.

Scratch around in the "OmniFocus Extras" forum for the scripts. And thank Rob Trew, whoever he (she?) is, if they're useful.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
To manage your info you have a comment field. You can drop in it whatever you want email (it will link the task to the email) files (it will create an alia or a copy of the file, you can even write notes in it. I personally do all this i manage all my stuf in OF which is a kind of central software of all my datas on my computer. I also add many notes and comment about things including checklist, summaries about GTD, Reference doc, and doc about my projects. It took me time to make my own organization (about 2 years) but now it works perfectly. May be you may take ideas from david allen last book making it all work and the omnifocus free GTD manuel.
Thanks Jupiter; in 2 years... I might have gone mad by then. :)

Thanks for the pointers; Being new to OF, one thing that I am having an issue with is that I created a project with actions, although I can change the action to repeat, I can not find where I can setup a repeat on the project. Also can you set a repeat on the parent and have it propagate to the actions contained within?


thx
 
Thanks policarpo.

It appears that you have been at this for a while; I have not even come to the point of thinking about notes. I did stumble upon this site and it sound like John is doing something similar to you; you might find it helpful.
http://www.byjohnchandler.com/2010/0...visited-intro/

Thanks
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashosfrog View Post
- you're in DT, looking at something that needs to be turned into a task. There's a Rob Trew script for that! It makes a task in OF, complete with clickable link back to the item in DT.
- You've finished a project, and you want to file all your OF material into DT along with the other reference material you accumulated around the project. There's a Rob Trew script for that!
- You're in OF, thinking that you really need to nut this job out further. There's a Rob Trew script for that! It creates an OmniOutliner file in a DT folder corresponding to your OmniFocus project.
Thanks for the example situations. I have considered DTPO and really like its close integration. My was with DT being a closed DB that it would not play well with OF and as a result I would be maintaining g 2 different systems with duplicate info. If that happened I would be back to square 1 with time management.
The only other fears were: having to maintain multiple DBs or that the DB might become corrupted and I would lose access to my info.

I will search for Robs posts.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashosfrog View Post
thank Rob Trew
Seconded. :-)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutshall1 View Post
Thanks policarpo.

It appears that you have been at this for a while; I have not even come to the point of thinking about notes. I did stumble upon this site and it sound like John is doing something similar to you; you might find it helpful.
http://www.byjohnchandler.com/2010/0...visited-intro/

Thanks
Thanks for the Link. I've decided today, to just stick with Evernote & AwesomeNote for my note taking. Until someone creates a better integrated solution for OF users, it's the best for my particular needs. I love the Notebooks app, but I don't particularly like the User Experience nor the Look & Feel of it, and I feel I should really like what I use if I am going to stick with it. :)

Here's hoping for a Evernote to OmniFocus system...or any other system that works on the desktop and on the iOS platform. :)

Last edited by policarpo; 2010-11-16 at 03:57 PM..
 
The Devonthink database isn't very closed. You can access all your data through the Finder if things get really screwy. (Not that they ever do, in my experience).

If you decide you want all your DT data back in the Finder, it's a very quick and simple export. No lock in.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Information management kaix OmniPlan General 0 2012-05-01 01:18 PM
More info for projects? RFBriggs Applying OmniFocus 2 2011-11-08 06:27 AM
Contexts info spiliog OmniFocus 1 for Mac 1 2011-05-19 04:56 AM
Project Management Shawn Wright OmniFocus Extras 5 2009-08-28 01:12 AM
5.7 and memory management Smithcraft OmniWeb Bug Reports 13 2008-04-22 02:35 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.