The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What kind of resource is a room? (a noob ?) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm doing a remodel and the room happens to be available 24x7x365, so I've tried entering the 'room' as an 'equipment' resrource, with a normal work week calendar of 24x7.

I have a test to perform in the room that takes 60 (minimum) to 72 (maximum) hours to perform. (In separate tasks, I set up and tear down the test myself; the 60 hours does not involve me at all.) I've created a task and assigned it to the 'room' resource. After the test is complete, I can then take the results to a place and get the results. I'm not able to figure out how to enter, for example, 60 hours. I've tried effort and duration and nothing seems to work (I get much larger numbers).

I know I have some learnin' to do, but any tips would be appreciated.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2009-11-03 at 01:42 PM..

Are your "much larger numbers" perhaps looking like a week plus a few days plus a few hours? For example, 60h turning into 1w 2d 4h? If so, that's just a function of how you've set your effort conversion factors and durations display preferences in the Project : Formatting inspector. OmniFocus doesn't want to display the duration in hours if you've given it permission to use days, and it by default thinks there are 8 working hours in a day, 5 working days in a week, so that 60 hour task is turned into 7.5 8 hour days, or 1 week, 2 days and 4 hours when displaying the duration, though if you look at the schedule, it's a 60 hour block.

More on this topic here.

If that isn't the issue, come on back and we'll try again :-)

"1w 2d 4h" -- exactly! Thanks, I'll go hit the books now.

In a sample file, I've set 24 hours per day, 168 hours per week, 744 hours per month, and 8,928 hours per year. With these numbers set, 60 hours does indeed show as 2d 12 hours, as expected. It will be interesting to see if that causes other unwanted side effects. I of course still schedule my typical work week for my available hours each day of the week.

Thanks a lot.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2009-11-03 at 03:06 PM..