The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adding child count to parent Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've done some searching, but haven't found an answer to this. My apologies if this is an old question.

Is it possible to add a count to a row which displays the number of children under it? For example, something that would display the following:

Groceries (3)
- Apples
- Milk
- Bread

In this case, the (3) would automatically update based on the children under Groceries.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

I don't know of a way to do it exactly like that (I'm not the Outliner guru JamesM is!), but I've found a semi-hackish way to get similar behavior. Depending on what you're doing, it might or might not be worthwhile.

Add a new column to your document, of type "Number" and summary "Total".
Add a 1 in your new column in each row that doesn't have children (each one that isn't shaded gray). OmniOutliner will then do the sums for you.
It's easy to add the 1 for all the items you have in your list now.
Here's the hard part (unless you're using a script to add items, like I do): you must also remember to do this when you add new items later. This might prove too hard, and leave your sums out-of-date.
------------------------------------
Another possible work-around that doesn't require you to maintain it: Turn on legal numbering for all rows in the document. Then to see how many items are in Groceries, simply look at the number of the last item in that section. They'll be numbered like so:
5. Groceries
5.1 Apples
5.2 Milk
5.3 Bread

So you look at Bread and see "Oh, I have 3 grocery items to buy."

Thanks for the tips, Lizard - I'll play around with it a little and see what I come up with.

Thanks,
Jason

I too have done an extensive search on this topic with no answers...

I would like to use this with kGTD, to show the number of actions (children) next to the project name...

for some reason, the "Inbox" section of kGTD does have this, it will show the count number in paranthesis next to it's title ie Inbox (3) ... for 3 children under the project title Inbox ... yet I have still to figure out how it shows it, and how I can set the other sections, and project titles to have the same behavior....

please help

tia