The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adjusting CPU priority of plugins, possible? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
We all know that Webkit came from KHTML engine in use by KDE Konqueror.

In Konqueror (KDE 3) preferences, there is a slider to make plugins (read as flash) to use more or LESS cpu.

I wonder if that is possible to implement in Webkit. That would save many of people, especially portable owners and people with less powerful CPUs from the horrible flash overhead (which is showing all browsers horrible).

When someone disables flash with ''Click to flash'' (can use in Omniweb too), you see the horrible effect of Flash in browsers. When you 'click to flash' and go to some site which had great idea (!) of Flash navigation, it becomes hassle.

So, if plugins could run with lower priority (or higher, in some cases) than browser, it would be best of both Worlds. Also, if user could set that preference in site by site basis, it would be even better.

I am not a developer and I don't know even if it is possible.

For the very sites that suck cpu via flash, dialing back their cpu use would likely make them unusable.

Most of what people complain about in Flash is VIDEO in Flash, or other external resources like audio. I am a Flash developer, and simple Flash applications are not as bad.

I've always thought that controlling plugins via Site Preferences would be a welcome addition. While it's true that I can kind of achieve this via an ad-block regex that blocks Flash, and then disable this on certain sites, but that's not as granular a solution.

Likewise the notion of throttling plugin CPU usage would be attractive (if not a major engineering challenge) and may be managed via a similar mechanism.