The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The OmniFocus Pre-Sale has begun! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Family Pack in the bag.

A little disappointed you backed away from the $14.95 kinkless upgrade price you posted back in June, but obviously this thing got bigger than you thought.

BZ

Let us not forget that OF will also eventually have some ability to link with OmniPlan. At least that's the info I remember reading a while back.

If this in fact does come to be, then OF should be much more valuable than a run-of-the-mill GTD app, even free ones.

Already Ordered -
from the first alphas i was sure that this will be a great product, keep up the good work.

Greetings from Germany

Albert

Family Pack purchased.

The price surprises me only as relative to OmniOutliner Pro. $79 is truly a small price to pay for self-management peace of mind. And the pre-release rates are is a steal ($45 OOPro Family Pack --> OF Family Pack = $9/seat!).

Keep up the good work, Omni.

I have to say that I agree that the price is too high. This is not criticism of the quality of the product. I have been using the Alpha from nearly the beginning and I would personally pay $80 because I already depend on it for my day to day work management.

However, if I hadn't been using the program for all these months, I doubt a short trial period would be enough to convince me to pay $80.

I think that this is a really great product (even though there is room for lots of UI improvements) and I really want as many people as possible to use it. I hope that the price isn't a barrier to that. That said, I will still recommend it to everyone I know.

I particpated in the OF alpha and beta test program and can see the amount of work that went into the product. Many companies would have gone "gold" with this far earlier in an effort to get the product out there asap.

However, I have say I am really surprised at the RRP pricing on OF of $80. While I can see that some people consider it a reasonable price, I (and some others apparently) this its going to put a lot of people off.

I expected it to be about $40, which is of course the early-bird price. I am also somewhat surprised that there is no discount for the people who contributed bug reports and suggestions during the alpha/beta phase. I know that having access to the software is considered a fair exchange, but there you go.

I'm also using Contactizer Pro and prior to OF used iGTD on and off. I really like OF but need to think before I drop $40 on this.

I'm firmly in the "worth every penny" camp. $80 is absolutely reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv21 View Post
I particpated in the OF alpha and beta test program and can see the amount of work that went into the product. Many companies would have gone "gold" with this far earlier in an effort to get the product out there asap.

However, I have say I am really surprised at the RRP pricing on OF of $80. While I can see that some people consider it a reasonable price, I (and some others apparently) this its going to put a lot of people off.

I expected it to be about $40, which is of course the early-bird price. I am also somewhat surprised that there is no discount for the people who contributed bug reports and suggestions during the alpha/beta phase. I know that having access to the software is considered a fair exchange, but there you go.

I'm also using Contactizer Pro and prior to OF used iGTD on and off. I really like OF but need to think before I drop $40 on this.
Of course, everyone has to make up his/her own mind before purchasing a product. However, in terms of marketing, I think this makes a perfect sense. By charging $80 instead of $40 or $30, you limit the product sales to the folks who are really serious about using the product, and thus benefit most from the product. Since they are charging $80 instead of $40, they don't have to sell as many copies to make the same amount of revenues. This of course has a couple of side benefits:

1. since most folks will benefit greatly from using the program, the product will be highly supported by the client base and get good words-of-mouth advertising.

2. since there will be "fewer" users, Omini can support their customers better and focus more on continuing to develop the product (of course, they will also get "valuable" feedback from those of us who use the product consistently.

As far as not rewarding folks, I beg to differ. Everyone here is getting a break here (at least 50%), and those of us who supported Omni earlier by purchasing the OO 3 pro license gets even more break. So, those of us who have been participating in the earlier version, the price point is really great!

Just another perspective.

I'm currently hundreds of dollars overdrawn and anything that gets my productivity up so as to change that is a good thing, but at $80 it hurts my wallet and I live in England where life is much more expensive than the U.S. I initially expected about $40 RRP but with the low value dollar, $80 is not too much even with my finances.

I'm glad I'm getting it for $30! I've been waiting a while for things like this - I'm buying OmniOutliner Pro and Omnifocus.

Having said that, people show great support and value more something that costs more, "ksrhee" is absolutely right on this. Another example of high price for high quality is cars like Ferrari and Lamborghini and look how desirable they are!

I think it worth paying $80 RRP for the software alone, or $100 if OmniFocus could sync with an online service such as Vitalist.com or Toodledo.com or an equivalent site built by Omnigroup. That of course means access to my tasks wherever there is an internet connection, and even more places if there is a online mobile phone version, unless more mobiles access "the real internet", like the iPhone does.

An online synced feature, would show support for those services and thus help them as much as Omnigroup, and it gives access to the GTD recommended "one inbox" and via various methods. I don't carry my computer around so that would help a lot. I guess I could print out tasks, but that's not so good for the environment or my stationery costs.

Last edited by ianonline; 2007-11-20 at 06:16 AM..

I am not really sure what to think.

My first reaction was "whoa. that is expensive.", and then I started to think about updates in the future, integration with future applications, the long-term support that goes with an application like this. I then began to come down to earth and realize the value of this program.

However, I can't help but feel a bit taken advantage of by the fact that I've used this application extensively to manage my day-to-day activities as part of a testing process. It's like, "well, how can I not justify 80$ if all of my stuff is stuck in this application?" "How can I not justify this cost because I am effectively chained to this application by all of the information I've put into it?"

It's not that I don't think it's worth it, I just feel a bit taken advantage of. I think in the future I will steer clear of betas that involve important personal information to avoid feeling kicked in the gut like this.

I feel like a crybaby saying all of this, because quite frankly, I think it's worth the 40$ without a doubt, it's just-- feel kind of kicked in the gut, that's really the only way I can explain it.