The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

zip file ballooning: comments and advice? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Now that the iPad version of OF is out, I am using it with great effect. I am syncing 5 devices, however: a desktop at work and at home, a laptop, an iPhone and an iPad. I currently have about 75 projects and 500 actions.

I have found that without my intervention, the number of zip files will go well over 200 and perhaps higher. I think the reason is probably that there is no natural period of more than an hour where all the databases are synched and nothing changes. The only extended regular time when I am not changing the database is when I am asleep, and of course work and home are not in sync then. So I have been deregistering my work computer and laptop on weekends, and syncing between 1 desktop plus the two mobile devices. However, even then I find that in a morning's work I can go from 1 zip file to 120. I find it hard to believe that this was the behavior anticipated by the designers, but I'm not a database expert. I don't really want to pay this much attention to syncing. Comments and advice, please?

Since changes may be stored in fairly small batches, that number of transaction files isn't something I'd worry about too much if you're using the app on several devices. (You're seeing the zip file count go up in the morning because OmniFocus *never* deletes a change file that's less than an hour old.)

I use OmniFocus on two Macs, an iPhone, and an iPad (running both iOS apps). All the apps have been synced today, and I currently have 240 change files on my phone.

If you start getting particularly slow syncs on a regular basis, that's the point at which I'd begin to worry. With the conditions I mentioned above, it takes my phone about 5 seconds to sync over WiFi...