The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inquisitor-like feature? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Since Dave Watanabe has specifically said he will not port Inquisitor to OmniWeb, any chance of a similar feature being programmed into OmniWeb? Seems like a natural evolution of search...

Ding to that.

This is a sort of killer feature for me (like the visual tabs of OW) that makes me want to switch browsers.

We used to have a really great search feature in OmniWeb 3, but we found it hard to maintain in the face of changing websites.

I am not exactly sure how Inquisitor works--perhaps someone could describe it more fully.

Perhaps the easiest way is to just see it in action: it is a livesearch functionality that queries a search engine and then displays the results much like spotlight:

http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/

The key feature is instant search results, showing the top 3 or 5 results without even going to a interim search page.

But what I really love about Inquisitor is that it presents the list of possible search engines as soon as you start typing. Using the down key to select a different search engine to the default is so much quicker than having to click the magnifying glass icon and select one

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hicksdesign/113682209/

It can also auto-complete your search query, which doesn't always work well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hicksdesign/93703138/

That part is more like Safari's autocomplete than Omniwebs.

But yes, this feature, combined with Omniweb's own easy-add search engine functionality would be great!

Last edited by Jon Hicks; 2006-08-04 at 12:46 PM..

I'm curious, do people really like the automatic search results popping up or just the easy access to the list of available search engines? ... or is it the combination of both.

Its both for me. Also it has to be said that its a beautiful OS X style UI, and a bit of eye candy always helps!

The result I want is often in top5, so Inquisitor is very good for me.
For example I write "Skype forum" and it directly tells me the url.
This is much better than go to google and search and then take mouse and click the link, or just guess the url which doesnt seem to work for me often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki
Since Dave Watanabe has specifically said he will not port Inquisitor to OmniWeb, any chance of a similar feature being programmed into OmniWeb? Seems like a natural evolution of search...

Why won't he port it to OmniWeb? I just bout Inquisitor this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp07
Why won't he port it to OmniWeb? I just bout Inquisitor this week.
He doesn't feel it's worth the work, with Omniweb's small user base. I know I talk up Omniweb quite a bit on my blog, but it barely ever shows up in site stats. Safari (28%), Camino (3%), and if Omniweb does ever show up, its in the less than 1% category. I guess the market for those of us that are prepared to pay for a browser is small.

From his own comments, its sounds as if David even regrets spending the time on getting it work in Camino. It is shame though. I assume that it wouldn't take much to port it, seeing as it is another Cocoa app. I've even offered money, but the answer was a definite no. :(