The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exchanging outlines with MS Word Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone have a script or is there a hidden capability within OO3 to import or export outlines with MS Word? I take notes in OO3 but often need to share them with WinDoze folks. The rtf format loses the bullet and/or numbering style that I may have put into the OO3 document. And importing outlines from Word yields the same problem.

If you export your outlines from OO3 as HTML(dynamic), they will be readable and collapsable in most web browsers. I don't use WinWord, but there is a decent chance that it would also read and write these HTML files. At any rate, that should be MS's problem, since HTML is widely accepted and used, and so their wordprocessor should be able to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goch@unb.ca View Post
If you export your outlines from OO3 as HTML(dynamic), they will be readable and collapsable in most web browsers. I don't use WinWord, but there is a decent chance that it would also read and write these HTML files.
Nope.

Quote:
At any rate, that should be MS's problem, since HTML is widely accepted and used, and so their wordprocessor should be able to handle it.
And you think that solves the OP's problem?

In addition to bullet styles, the MSW export does not export any columns attached to the outline, which is a downer for me: I'm writing an outline for a collaborative work, and I want to have a column with the name of the person each task is assigned to. As far as I can tell, that info does not get exported to the MSF outline format.

Victor.

Unfortunately there is not a good way to round-trip files between OmniOutliner and Word. This is something we'd like to make possible in the future with a couple export formats.

The Word HTML export does only do the main column. This is because it's formatted for Word's outline view which only supports 1 column.

Since the fact that OO supports columns and the Word exporter doesn't, wouldn't it be possible to use an export format, that could be imported into Excel as an intermediary?

Just a wonder ...

Mark

CSV export already allows you to do that, except I don't think the graphics or any attachments will get exported.

Let me add my voice for MS Word import. I don't have a need for Word round tripping; however, For years I used Word (2001 WordX for mac) as my outliner and have a bunch of legacy lecture notes that I can get into OO only very awkwardly (save as text; manually indent paragraphs; strip numbering; import indented text to OO). These notes are only one column, they use only heading par. styles (no body text), I only need to preserve the hierarchical structure, I don't care about anything else (numbering etc). Could OO import the Word html output, or rtf? I abandoned word for OO a long time ago, but I sure would love to batch translate all those old word outlines.

importing from Word's "Outline Numbered" styles is cumbersome but doable: See my post on another thread if that is what anyone is looking for...

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=20561