The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraphSketcher > OmniGraphSketcher General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Secondary Y-Axis Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When trying to display two sets of numbers, one with small numbers, and one with big numbers, I needed a secondary Y-Axis to be able to make the small numbers show up.

Anyone else in for this request? Or other solutions?

Jelle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Graph2ndaryYax.png
Views:	889
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1016  

was just thinking this myself. it'd be very helpful to have a secondary y axis.

I asked for this and was told it was added to the "vote" for that feature.

I am a new user, but OmniGraphSketcher is amazing. I can't tell you how many times I've had to make "real" graphs to just sketch a concept.

A secondary axis is the only thing I can see missing. Thanks!

I add my vote on this.

Have a good day.

I added a poll to this thread, so if you want/like secondary Y-Axis, add your vote to the poll at the top of this post!

Just a reminder -- the only votes that count are the ones made by using Help->Send Feedback or email to omnigraphsketcher@omnigroup.com...

I'd like to echo Bill's reminder that if you really care about this feature it's important to email OmniGraphSketcher@omnigroup.com or Help > Send Feedback within the application and tell us about why you need it!

Also, Robin posted some further discussion about dual Y-axes and best practices in a blog post today. We'd love to hear your feedback on that article as well.

While I agree its best to avoid overlain axes like this, it is sometimes useful and standard in various scientific fields. Plots like the second one in http://dusk.geo.orst.edu/gis/student_bibs/wingard.html are so common in my field that you would be looked at askance if you didn't produce this. Sure, you could use seven panels instead of 2, but if you wanted to get it on one page and be able to line things up in the vertical, you'd have to sacrifice the resolution of the wiggles. For this data, a little bit of confusion and complexity is well worth it to be able to see the fine and important detail that smaller plots would obscure.

Note the authors here aren't trying to imply correlation. Its raw data. They are using these plots to search for correlations and patterns. When you are doing that it is very useful to overlay plots. In the old days, folks used to do this with light tables. Maybe OmniGraph is only meant for publishable results, but there are other uses for plotting software than plotting final results.

In all, the article comes off as pretty prescriptive, and frankly it seems that whoever wrote it has never analyzed data seriously. You can say that you don't want to program double y axes, or that it isn't technically possible, but I'd sure stop far shorter than you do of claiming folks aren't using overlain axes properly. There is a reason you get a lot of request for this, and its not that your users are bad at analyzing data.