The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Voice -> OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
or more completely:

Voice -> vlingo -> twitter(private) -> OmniFocus

Using the vlingo iPhone app (Free) you can use its voice recognition to post to twitter.

I created a private twitter account and a python script that monitors that account in order to be able to speak new inbox tasks with essentially no fuss (once set up)

http://ptone.com/dablog/2009/03/voic...cus-revisited/

-P

Dynamite!

I plan to try this!

I hope it will become another

"reliable capture in a system you trust"

I had this going (was amazingly useful) but fear it's now broken. Is it still working? Or has a Vlingo or OF update "broken" it?

Thanks

Just noticed this. There's another older thread about this too, with a slightly different mix of tools:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5871

Instead of using Python, I was using Griffin's Proxi to fetch the tweets and run the applescript. Now I use Twitteriffic (my recent post in that thread describes why).

I do use Vlingo for this, and also Dragon on the iPhone for the voice captures. Dragon now supports Twitter.

Cheers...

Ah great

Do you think it will be easier for a non geek to install?

- I had to get help with the other method (download Dev Kit and mess around in terminal etc)

It was all too complicated for me.. someone had to assist me over the phone etc

(and now its broken...)

Thanks

Last edited by Casper TFG; 2010-09-01 at 01:39 AM..

Yes using Twitterific will definitely be easier - pasting a little code snippet into an AppleScript and running a command in Terminal is pretty much all there is to it (once Twitterific is installed).

I thought I'd provide a short recipe of how I got this working the other day using Twitterific, for anyone that's new to applescript. I like using Twitterific because it allows you to register a listener script that runs for every tweet in the timeline - it looks after the polling for you (like Proxi did, but no longer reliably).

1) Download Twitterific from here (it's a zip file):
http://iconfactory.com/software/twitterrific

2) Unzip the zip file. Install the Twitterific app by moving it (the file with the blue birdie icon) to your Applications folder in Finder.

3) There should be an applescript there too: ProcessTweet.scpt . Move that to the place where you keep your OmniFocus applescripts (or you could move somewhere else if you like - but modify the subsequent steps here accordingly). Mine is:

~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniFocus/

4) Open ProcessTweet.scpt (in its new location) in AppleScript Editor and modify the script. Find this code:

Code:
    set runSpeakingSample to true
    set runUnixShellSample to false
    set runChatSample to false
    set runMailSample to false
... and change them all to false (unless you want to play and experiment with the samples first). Immediately after this code in the script, add this:
Code:
    tell application "OmniFocus" to tell default document
        parse tasks with transport text (tweetText) without as single task
    end tell
... and save the script.

5) Open Terminal and run this command (the instructions for this are in the comments of the script - this only needs to be done once):

Code:
defaults write com.iconfactory.Twitterrific processTweetScriptPath "~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniFocus/ProcessTweet.scpt"
Then run Twitterific, configure it with your (private) twitter channel's userid and password, and set the preferences how you like (I have mine set so it stays out of my way and does not appear in my dock).

Notes:

• Per the other threads mentioned here, you need to create a separate, private twitter channel for your captures. Then you can use Vlingo, Dragon, Jott (for voice captures), or any other Twitter client to create tweets that will be added to your OmniFocus inbox when Twitterific processes them on your Mac.
  • Watch out for special characters, like dollar signs, etc. They have special meaning for the parse command and can cause your capture to fail. Someday I'd like to modify the script to convert them to full words so that the capture still works. Example - if you say "five dollars" in Vlingo (or Dragon, or both - can't remember), it comes through as "$5", and the script will fail and you won't see it in Omnifocus. (Hmm, perhaps a try/catch block could at least add a task to check your timeline for what went wrong...)
Cheers...

Looking forward to trying it - many thanks

Love this twitterific script!

Is there any way to strip the tiny url provided by jott so it doesn't show up in my OF task?
Thanks so much for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckennedy View Post
Love this twitterific script!

Is there any way to strip the tiny url provided by jott so it doesn't show up in my OF task?
Thanks so much for this!
I don't use Jott anymore, I use the Dragon iPhone app instead. Both Dragon and Vlingo give you the opportunity to correct the text before slinging the bits off to Twitter, with nice interfaces that give you likely suggestions. And there are no tinyurls in the posts, like with Jott. It would be nice if Jott allowed you to shut them off.

You could probably script to remove the URLs I guess, but I just ignored them. I recall though that they don't appear every time.