The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Setting screen font vs. print/export font [A: text zoom coming in OO4.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I like large fonts on my screen so I set whole-document font to 14pt. However, on export to RTF or Word, 14pt is too big.

It would be helpful if there was an option to scale down fonts for export. Any plans for this or something similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiddleton View Post
I like large fonts on my screen so I set whole-document font to 14pt. However, on export to RTF or Word, 14pt is too big.

It would be helpful if there was an option to scale down fonts for export. Any plans for this or something similar?
That would be really helpful. I love OO and use it regularly. This or a "zoom" feature would be great.

This feature has been requested by many people for YEARS now! It is one of the few places where Omni has been unresponsive. Awhile ago the company said they did not implement because of the problems with scaling some non-text items in outlines (can't remember the exact wording). All that said, apparently zooming will be a feature in OO4. Who knows when that will come out, but hopefully within the next 6 to 9 months.

I'm afraid that OmniOutilner is obsolete. Too much time to update, to develop.. I love this app and sometimes I feel like that. This feature is a common request. Keep waiting.

One can easily install a button on the OO3 toolbar which toggles the font size of the 'whole document' style back and forth between a screen size and a print size.

Edit the first two lines of the following to match your preferred sizes (mine are 16pt for screen and 12pt for print), save it as an applescript, and install the script on your OO3 toolbar.

Each time you click it the font size will switch.

Code:
property pScreenSize : 16
property pPrintSize : 12

tell application id "OOut"
	tell documents
		if (count) < 1 then return
		tell attribute "font-size" of style of item 1
			if value is pPrintSize then
				set value to pScreenSize
			else
				set value to pPrintSize
			end if
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-10-17 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Slightly increased compatibility with different versions

Rob: Thanks! That works great.

Rob: I've been using OO with real joy again today. Your script has solved all my outliner problems! I wish Omni had provided something like this years ago. And I don't know much about scripting myself—but I truly appreciate the thoughtfulness you've given to providing the rest of us with a very elegant solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellm View Post
Rob: I've been using OO with real joy again today. Your script has solved all my outliner problems! I wish Omni had provided something like this years ago. And I don't know much about scripting myself—but I truly appreciate the thoughtfulness you've given to providing the rest of us with a very elegant solution.
It's a pleasure ! (just a simple fragment of code)

(oo3 seems a really excellent piece of work to me, and with the scripting interface you can generally make it do pretty much what you want ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellm View Post
Rob: Thanks! That works great.
Mitch,
I am having trouble installing the font size toggle script on the OO3 toolbar. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. I am running Mac X 10.6.5 and OOP 3.6.5. Thank you.
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Mitch,
I am having trouble installing the font size toggle script on the OO3 toolbar. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. I am running Mac X 10.6.5 and OOP 3.6.5. Thank you.
Bill C
Perhaps if you describe the trouble we could offer some help without having to play a guessing game. Also, why are you running such an ancient version of OmniOutliner? If it is truly 3.6.5, it is over 2.5 years old, and has none of the Snow Leopard compatibility changes.