The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
OO Pro 4.0? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
That has a nice ring to it. Any word on when 4.0 might be on the horizon? I realize that is top secret information of course, and it'll probably be a while, but I'm considering trying to use TAO. Please don't make me do it! The thing is kind of a nightmare, but it does have some impressive power outlining features.

Of course, I'm assuming (and hoping) that Omni will begin to close the gap on features.
 
I don't want to speak about future plans--but it might be a good idea for you to brainstorm here about what you would like from a theoretical OO 4.0...
 
Sure, I'm glad you're not too annoyed by my post.

Having experience with several of the outliner/notetaking apps, I'll tell you some of the features that are important for me.

-- Clones: you've heard this before of course. Hopefully self-explanatory. For me, links aren't as important, but I suppose they normally go together.

-- The ability to drag any entry into the sections pane, regardless of level. Important for using clones effectively, I think. Then if you're working on a particular entry and its children, you could have easy access to it.

-- Having "date modified" as accessible metadata, and the ability to sort non-destructively (so I can revert to my own order of entries). Mori does this well, you can just click on the date modified column, and click again to unsort.

-- Smart folders, allowing for collecting entries based on various criteria. Again, Mori does this well. TAO has an equivalent feature, but not as well executed.

With those features, I'd throw all of my other apps in the trash!
 
Agree on Clones, date modified (but then "what" constitutes a modification? expanding view? content change only?...) and Smart Folders (yes, yes, yes! but not sure how that fits in with current OO data model?)... not sure what you mean by "sections pane"? the level 1 entries you can "hoist" to?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Renaud
Agree on Clones, date modified (but then "what" constitutes a modification? expanding view? content change only?...) and Smart Folders (yes, yes, yes! but not sure how that fits in with current OO data model?)... not sure what you mean by "sections pane"? the level 1 entries you can "hoist" to?
On the Omni site they call it the sections drawer, just the drawer on the left where you can navigate some of your outline.

I think modification would have to be a content change.

I'm basically thinking about some of the advantages that I like in Mori. One of the major features that it's missing compared to OmniOutliner is the ability to wrap text in the main entry area.

Last edited by FredH; 2006-09-13 at 09:08 PM..
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I don't want to speak about future plans--but it might be a good idea for you to brainstorm here about what you would like from a theoretical OO 4.0...
I second the folders/groups suggestion as well. Cloning would be sweet.

How about tabs and split document windows as well. Split windows is something that I've come to depend on and can't really write without.

cheers
 
When I'm importing text to OO, frequently items are organized so that I'd like to select some part of a topic or note text and then create a new topic from that. Yes ... I can do a copy, create topic, paste ... but that extra step is a pain. If there was some "split topic" or "create topic from text" that took the text selection and created a topic, it would be very, very handy.

If the selection started from the start of the topic, the new topic would be inserted above the current topic with the selected text removed. If the selection ended with the end of the topic, the new topic would be inserted immediately below. Text in the middle ... hmm ... probably below ....
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejt
When I'm importing text to OO, frequently items are organized so that I'd like to select some part of a topic or note text and then create a new topic from that. Yes ... I can do a copy, create topic, paste ... but that extra step is a pain. If there was some "split topic" or "create topic from text" that took the text selection and created a topic, it would be very, very handy.

If the selection started from the start of the topic, the new topic would be inserted above the current topic with the selected text removed. If the selection ended with the end of the topic, the new topic would be inserted immediately below. Text in the middle ... hmm ... probably below ....

I don't think this does exactly what you want.. but do you know about control-return? It will split the row at the cursor give you two rows, the first row with the text before the cursor, and the 2nd with the text after the cursor.

--
Derek M.
Support Ninja
The Omni Group
 
Smart Folders. This is something that would be great. Then you could (if your into KTD) add your projects in one section, add a smart folder for all of the next actions with context "Errands" or "Home", etc. You could add a "!Important" category and then add a smart folder which includes all posts that are checked for that, etc.

And when you check the box in a smart folder, the check box in the original section will be checked as well.

This would be ultimate... Really hope you guys read this and implement it in the next version. ;-)

Last edited by Fake; 2006-09-24 at 02:10 AM..
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM
I don't think this does exactly what you want.. but do you know about control-return? It will split the row at the cursor give you two rows, the first row with the text before the cursor, and the 2nd with the text after the cursor.

--
Derek M.
Support Ninja
The Omni Group
Yep. Know about that (actually, I have the setting to make that the default), and I use it when importing staight indented text, but I already have all the newlines I need ... I just need to split the text *at the existing newlines* ...

As far as my item above, I was looking for a "Mori-like" capability to take a bunch of text and treat the first line as the top and the rest as either text or a child row.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.