The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Erroneous Sync error messages in v1.8 [now fixed in 1.8.1] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just sent this e-mail in to support, but also wanted to post here to see if anyone has any ideas what's going on...

I was checking to see if background sync is working, and when I sent OmniFocus on the iPhone to the background, waited a minute or two to give the sync a chance to finish, and then relaunched OmniFocus on the iPhone, I was met with an error message:

Unable to synchronize database with server. The operation couldn't be completed. Bad file descriptor.

It appears that background sync isn't working, and now my iPhone database appears to be corrupt as a result. No matter how I try and sync, I am now always getting this error. This error only started after I tested background syncing on the iPhone.

I am running the latest version of OmniFocus on the desktop (x 2, home and work), the latest version on the iPhone, the latest version on the iPad, and they are all syncing with the Omni Sync Server.

So... any ideas?

Update: I was able to get a regular (non-background) sync working again by forcing OmniFocus on the iPhone to close, and then restarting it. I then forced a sync and all worked fine.

However, there still appears to be something screwy with background syncing. I'm still scratching my head trying to come up with an explanation.

Hey I´m experiencing a strange bug when I sync after upgrading to 1.8
This morning OF suddenly refuse to sync. I checked my connection, I checked that iDisk was working, I made sure that my versions of OF for mac and iPad was syncing as they should. No matter what I did OF for iPhone refused to sync, it told me that it couldn´t connect to the server.
Then I tried to delete it, and reinstall it. It seemed to work, until I tried to sync while I was on a call, then it told me that it could not reach the server because I was calling at the same time, which was natural.But then it gave me the same message even after I had ended my call, and I had to force quit the app in order to make it sync, have any of you experienced that before?

Hi!

After updating I experience the same problem. Sometimes syncing does not work, and I am presented the time-out message. Of course I have an up and running Internet connection, but the iPhone refuses to sync. I too tested this on my desktop versions and they sync correctly. For what its worth: I use the Omnisync servers.

For me, closing the app (I use an iPhone 4) and restarting it fixes the problem. But it happend again a few times today....

And this was defintly not present under 1.7.3!

Hopefully the ninjas are going to fix this.

Last edited by Chrome; 2010-11-19 at 11:03 AM..

Same prob here so OF/iPhone seems to sync data despite the err MSG.
Cheers for workaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
Hi!

After updating I experience the same problem. Sometimes syncing does not work, and I am presented the time-out message. Of course I have an up and running Internet connection, but the iPhone refuses to sync. I too tested this on my desktop versions and they sync correctly. For what its worth: I use the Omnisync servers.

For me, closing the app (I use an iPhone 4) and restarting it fixes the problem. But it happend again a few times today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
Hi!

Hi
The same here!

Sorry for the trouble this is causing! We've managed to duplicate what's going on here - the "Timed Out" messages are in error; syncs are proceeding just fine.

The messages seem to be occurring when the screen is dimmed shortly after OmniFocus starts a background sync. The app gets confused at that point and starts presenting the error message even if a given sync succeeds.

We'll fix it in an update, but for the time being, the workaround would be to reboot the phone (which stops that message from appearing when it shouldn't) and then to let the phone dim the screen itself, rather than dimming it manually. That gives the background sync more time to complete and reduces the chance the bug will bite you again.

Apologies for the inconvenience this is causing, folks - we're working on a fix.

Hi Brian!

Sorry, but I can not reproduce your findings. For me it seems that the error message is not connected to the dimming of the screen. The error occurs with full lighted screen when I manually sync the database... No background syncing, no screen dimming.

And as I wrote,closing the app out of multitasking and restarting it, fixes the problem for a short while. No need to shut down the whole Phone. I did this too, and the error is gone for a certain time, but it comes back. But I would not say, that this cures the error for a longer time. So in theory the error message should be limited to the iPhone4 and 3Gs, because with the 3G you restart the app every time.

Generally for me it seems, that syncing in 1.8 is a mess. Because in addition to the time out message sometimes I get an error where I am told: Unable to sync, bad file descriptor. But here too,despite the error message, the syncing process in reality is completed. I double checked with my desktop versions. This error seems to occur when the status of an item is not updated as it should: e.g. if an item is not activated and transfered to due soon or overdue, even as the respective times had passed.....

Greetings

Hi Brian

I’d like to explain how it seems to happen in my case. It seems like OF gets stuck if an error happens. Like when I tried to sync during a call, and I was told that I had to end my call to be able to sync, even after my call had ended it kept telling me the same thing, and I had to "restart" the app to rid of it.
The same thing happened when I had no network and tried to sync - I got an error message that it couldn’t reach the server, but after I got my network connection back the app kept telling me that it couldn´t reach the server.

As I said it seems like it gets stuck whenever it encounters an error, and it has to be restarted to work - until it happens again of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas_Thomsen View Post
...As I said it seems like it gets stuck whenever it encounters an error, and it has to be restarted to work.....
Hi Nicolas,

Strange in my case the error seems not connected to the same circumstances. Every time I was presented the error message, my line was not busy. Everything was free, but nevertheless I was told there was a timeout....