The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PDF: View in Preview.app? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In Safari, it's possible to ctrl-click on a rendered PDF and open it in Preview with the "View in Preview.app" item. I like this approach, because I usually want a 'quick look' at a PDF in the browser and the ability to move it to Preview with one click if I want to read in detail, save or search.

Could this be added to OW?

Was just about to post this too. I use that feature in Safari *alot*

I'll add my vote. Although personally, there should also be a preference for OmniWeb to ignore PDFs and download them like normal instead. (I subscribe to the belief that a web browser is not the appropriate place for viewing a PDF document, because PDFs are inherently different documents — since they're designed primarily for printed pages — than web pages.)

Why not use the SchubertIT PDF plugin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinutiaeMan
I'll add my vote. Although personally, there should also be a preference for OmniWeb to ignore PDFs and download them like normal instead. (I subscribe to the belief that a web browser is not the appropriate place for viewing a PDF document, because PDFs are inherently different documents — since they're designed primarily for printed pages — than web pages.)
Triple that... I'd like pdf's to download also, I prefer to read them in preview than anything else

Quote:
I agree that for any detailed use of PDFs, I much prefer Preview. I do, however, really like getting a quick look in the browser without downloading, hitting Exposé, finding the file and opening it in Preview....then filing it properly or trashing it. That's a lot of steps to discover it wasn't an interesting document :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserspeirs
without downloading, hitting Exposé, finding the file and opening it in Preview....
If you double-click on it in the Downloads window, it will automatically open in the default app you have set in the OS. You can also drag and drop it onto a dock icon if you want it to open in a different app.

Quote:
then filing it properly
I use the site prefs to choose a different download location based on the site. On sites you don't frequent enough to do that, you can right-click on the link, and choose the download location.

I would actually like a more robust Downloads pane.

Quote:
I'll add my vote. Although personally, there should also be a preference for OmniWeb to ignore PDFs and download them like normal instead.
You can actually do this now by enabling a hidden preference. Quit OmniWeb and open a Terminal window, then enter this command:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES

After doing so OmniWeb should download PDF documents, no displaying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
You can actually do this now by enabling a hidden preference. Quit OmniWeb and open a Terminal window, then enter this command:

Excuse me TroyB... I've been seeing several different options for hidden commands. Would it be possible to get a list of them (well the ones OG wants to release) and say post them somewhere? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb

What about the original request of getting the "Open in Preview.app" menu item from Safari while viewing a PDF/PS file in the browser? I really did like this feature in Safari and it would be nice to have in OmniWeb. Any chance of it getting added?

Last edited by jordan.breeding; 2006-04-29 at 11:36 AM..