The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Move entire project to new end date Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
I set up a project 6 months ago that has now finished. I now need to re-schedule exactly the same project to finish at a new end date.

I thought this would be a simple process. I've tried putting in a new end date and clicking 'backward from fixed end'.... this doesn't work. I've tried selecting and dragging the entire project to the new end date....this doesn't work either. I'm sure there's a simple way to re-schedule projects that repeat, but I can't work it out!!

Please help!

Try this:

Duplicate the project file
Open the duplicate
Bring up the project information inspector (command-4)
Change the start date to be about today
Look at the resulting finish date in the line along the bottom of the project window and compare it to your desired finish date. Iteratively adjust the start date until you hit the target.

Now go look the resulting project over carefully, because there are things that are likely to have shifted around due to holidays, starting on different days of the week, and all the other stuff that makes one week not just like every other week.

Working backward from a fixed end is a good thought, but it works only if the original project was constructed that way, too.

Thanks will try this in the morning!

The original project was constructed backwards from from the end date. It seems crazy that the ability to re-schedule / re-use a successful project timeline doesn't appear to be included in the program.

I use the same project timeline / critical path twice a year and I purchased Omniplan, thinking that I could just amend the end date and the tasks etc would move accordingly. I honestly thought that this would be a basic feature?

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Nope...didn't work.
I've managed to get the project to start on todays date, but when I try and move the start date I get a new start date in the inspector and on the bottom left of the screen, but the actual Gantt chart doesn't move and neither does the end date.

Seems like Omniplan can't perfom this simple task.

Is there anyone out there who has any ideas??

Can you send your plan? If you go to Help ->Send Feedback, it will ask you if you want to include your plan, and if a you agree, it attaches a file which has everything identifiable in your plan replaced with Task 1, Task 2, or xxxxx. Then send it to me at gmail, or use the message as it into send it to Omni support (add a note referencing this thread). I think there might be something with how you constructed your plan that is causing you grief here, as I was able to shift some plans in the fashion I described.

That would be great. What's your gmail address?