The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Are the iOS apps worth using standalone? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
I couldn't agree more. I've been an OmniFocus user since the original alpha version was launched and a day 1 adopter on all three platforms.
So am I, RiK, but would you feel so enthusiastic if you didn't have the desktop version? If you'd bought OF for iPad as a standalone product, or God-forbid just the iPhone version? IMHO, there's a strong stench of "bait-and-switch" wafting from OG in regard to the iDevice apps, as I've outlined here.

It's difficult for me to answer that as I started with the desktop app, but I can say that the iPad app is by far my preferred version for my daily/weekly reviews and the iPhone is essential as my capture device. I have a number of friends who primarily use the iPad app and seem to be very happy with it.

imho the people who feel OF is expensive are probably not really getting the best from a GTD approach to productivity and would be quite happy with a $3 to-do app. Those who actually *do* GTD realise it's a fantastic tool for the job.

Personally I wouldn't be without it and I definitely feel that Omnigroup products are worth the asking price. I'll take quality engineering from a team like Omni over throwaway apps any day.

So, on your iPad Rik, how do you search in the notes field? Create a perspective? Import from OmniOutliner? OK, so the iPad is your preferred version and the iPhone simply a capture device. I'm afraid that wasn't what was sold to me. OF on the desktop owes me nothing, not so much OF on iDevices. I've already deleted OO, OG and OGS both from my iPad and desktop. I won't be opening my wallet again to repurchase OF on iDevices until Omni stops believing it can cross-sell the desktop by not implementing basic iOS features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
So, on your iPad Rik, how do you search in the notes field? Create a perspective? Import from OmniOutliner?
I don't. Honestly can't say I've ever wanted to for my own workflow but YMMV.

Quote:
OK, so the iPad is your preferred version and the iPhone simply a capture device.
That's not quite what I said. I said the iPad was my preferred version for my reviews. I like the interface and it's perfect to use on my lap during a morning review over a coffee etc. I also love the fact that the iPhone version means I always have a ubiquitous capture device with me at all time.

I simply pointed out two of the benefits which work really well for me, but I didn't say that was the only reason I liked the apps on those devices.

Quote:
I'm afraid that wasn't what was sold to me. OF on the desktop owes me nothing, not so much OF on iDevices. I've already deleted OO, OG and OGS both from my iPad and desktop.
Well that's obviously your free choice to do so, but it strikes me a little of throwing your toys from the pram. I don't use OGS as I don't have a use for it, but OO and OG are both very useful to me and I use them both on my iPad a lot as it's my primary productivity tool when I'm travelling.

You've obviously got pretty strong feelings on the matter and feel that for your personal use the apps don't work. That's a shame, but I've yet to see any convincing evidence of a better solution from another developer, at any price.

There are loads of other solutions, that doesn't mean that OO, OG and OGS aren't great products on iDevices, but like OF, they lack import, export, copy-and-paste, email, document interchange, etc. etc. So, as standalone products on the move, they're worse then useless. I'd rather use a less featured app that at least isn't constantly trying to "sell" me to the desktop (which I already own!), then be stuck with OG's half-baked implementations. They've just released OP for the iPad, with no export function at all apart from screenshots. I imagine they were so desperate to get to WWDC with all their programs ported, they didn't care about the impact on their paying customers, huh? Else, it's pure "bait-and-switch"!

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2012-06-08 at 06:26 AM..

Quote:
There are loads of other solutions
i didn't say there weren't other options, rather that I have yet to see a better one.

Quote:
So, as standalone products on the move, they're worse then useless.
Personally I disagree. I've been using them for months and for my personal use they've been fantastic. Again, YMMV but please don't generalise about everyone else's experience based on your own.

Quote:
I'd rather use a less featured app
That's your free choice to make, but in that case why not just go and do it rather than moaning on here? Far less stress for you surely?

Quote:
they didn't care about the impact on their paying customers, huh? Else, it's pure "bait-and-switch"!
Again, respectfully I'll disagree. The apps may not be perfect, but there are clearly a huge number of paying customers, myself included, who really like and value the iOS apps. I've tried loads of others and they don't come anywhere close to the Omni offerings.

So, Rik, how do you get stuff out of OF from your iPhone when you're on the move? I'm always happy to learn! How do you do it, copy-and-paste, email, document interchange?

I've spent c.$20k on OG product, but whether I'd only spent $20 on OF for iPhone, I have as much right to voice an opinion, and hopefully help some poor newbie avoid falling into the trap believing that OF is a standalone product on iDevices.

IMHO, it's not!

Quote:
So, Rik, how do you get stuff out of OF from your iPhone when you're on the move? I'm always happy to learn! How do you do it, copy-and-paste, email, document interchange?
On my phone? Can't honestly say I've ever needed to get anything out of OF on the go other than perhaps something stored in a note in which case I would just copy/paste it into the relevant email or something but I've never felt I was missing any functionality from the iPhone app when I'm out. For the most part I'd be using the phone to check my next action lists to decide what I need to be doing and then checking off completed actions.

The vast majority of my capture is done on the phone too as it's the one thing I'll always have with me 24/7 so there's never a problem getting thoughts into my inbox.

I've gone completely iOS and the iPad is a joy to use. I do my weekly reviews and try to tackle my actions from the iPad rather than the iPhone. No more MacBook Pro and I love it.

I've found I've gotten more accomplished lately, but I think that's only because having three devices seemed cumbersome. My only concern is now saving and syncing items to an external HD. but that's another topic.

I come to this forum and the David Allen gtd forum once a month and read up on as much as I can. Onnifocus has always been an evolving process and lately have taken a more simple approach and it's worked out great. Especially considering I'm a college student that had essays due weekly and wrote (and spoke) them on my iPad.

I only use OF on my iPad, I don't own any of the other versions and I don't feel cheated. I love my experience with OF on the iPad.