The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sending tasks via email Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I need some help working out how to send tasks via email.

I am allowed to send email from where I work, but cannot use a memory stick or other transfer mechanism. Sometimes I think of a task to be done at home and it would be nice to email it directly to OF on my home computer.

Ethan's new video mentions this, but there are no instructions. Can anyone help?

Ideally I would like to send the task name, project, and context and have it drop into my OF automatically.

Thx.

See Preferences --> Mail.

Curt

Thanks, Curt, but I can't get this to work. The rule is added to Mail, but the process seems to stop ther. A properly formatted message, per the examples given, come in as email, but it not transferred to OF. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Karl

Do you use Mail Act-On, and if so, would it help to move the "Send to OmniFocus" rule above the "Act-On: Stop Processing Receive Rules"?

I do use Act-on, but rearranging the order of the rules seems to have no impact. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
See Preferences --> Mail.
Hello,

I managed to send task by mail, but i cannot add any addresses in the " allowed from addresses " menu.

There is a default address there but it is not my work address.

I tried to use the + button but it does not let me enter any address. I tried to copy/paste; drag/drop...nothing will do...

Can anybody help ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmuthelmut View Post
Hello,

I managed to send task by mail, but i cannot add any addresses in the " allowed from addresses " menu.

There is a default address there but it is not my work address.

I tried to use the + button but it does not let me enter any address. I tried to copy/paste; drag/drop...nothing will do...

Can anybody help ?
Adding mail addresses has always worked for me (10.4.11), and it still does, just checked. I would like an option to disable any mail address constraints (is this perceived as a security risk?). In case that never gets implemented, you can disable the address checking by commenting out the appropriate lines in the Applescript. Open the OF package and edit OmniFocus.app/Contents/Resources/MailAction.applescript. Comment out the lines

tell application "OmniFocus"
set AllowedSender to allowed mail senders
if AllowedSender does not contain trimmedSender and AllowedSender does not contain theSender then
return
end if
end tell

Any mail should come through. Big disadvantage: during sneak preview, you have to redo this every time you upgrade OF, in case they changed the script elsewhere.

Last edited by gg42; 2007-11-23 at 12:31 PM..

I haven't figured out the "+omnifocus" as a recipient part yet myself, but using "A subject starting with --" works fine for me. Syntax is described in the Nov. 2 Release Notes.

Bob

did I misunderstand something ? I can get -- in the subject of the email and +omnifocus works also .. [you just add +omnifocus after your last email address ]

I can't get the single lines for extra tasks to work -new task etc ..
they all just show up in the notes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
[you just add +omnifocus after your last email address ]
I must be missing the obvious, but when I enter "+omnifocus" after my last email address, I get:

"The server “smtp.comcast.net” rejected the address “+omnifocus”."

or from a web mail 'app':

"syntax error in the address list"

Bob