The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus export to OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have made the leap to OmniFocus in a big way: I have bought a family pack, so I can work on projects at home and I bought six licenses for my team.

Here is a very important request to OmniGroup that I hope makes it into version one:

I need to be able to export a project to another person on my team. For example, as I do my weekly review, I might realize that someone else on the team should pick up project x. I want to be able to export the project to them and have them import it and get running with it.

Rob Trew wrote a great new script that exports a project and all of the columns to OmniOutliner, but I don't want to rely on people to have this program. In addition, for some of my novice computer users, getting them to use an applescript takes a lot of work on my end— (installing, putting it in their tool bar, keeping the script up to date with new releases, etc.)

This should we be helpful to me— Would anyone else benefit from OF to OF sharing?

Steve

Well, there have been may threads in the past regarding team use of OF, and the general reply has been to consider OmniPlan, which is a project management system that supports teams (so I'm told). But I would imagine that some simple like export of one or more projects would be a reasonable feature for OF. Since OF is in beta, I think that means the feature set is fixed and (considering Omni is looking to get this out the door in Jan.) I doubt anything like this will be incorporated for some time.

But, we can hope that I'm wrong.

I have looked at OmniPlan and it looks promising if it is integrated with OmniFocus. I am looking for a simple sharing of information. We are getting close to the release date, so it might be pushing it to get done by January, but I think this feature needs to be released asap-- version 1.1?

I've tried several things, but none of them work:

If you export as an OmniFocus document, everything is carried over. You can just export/import one section.

When searching using spotlight, you can see what looks like a mini document of a project- I tried to email this document, but it didn't work.

I noticed that there is more robust .csv support. Unfortunately, this won't import to OF.

It's great that OmniFocus is sharing with other applications— task paper, omniplan, etc. But I think we need to be able to export a project for another OmniFocus user.

I haven't tried it out, but you might be able to use the export to OOP script, and then import from OOP into another OF doc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprugman View Post
you might be able to use the export to OOP script, and then import from OOP into another OF doc.
The main limitation is that the OO importer in OF does not map the Flagged field (or the Completion Date field).

[Another immediate, and no doubt temporary, issue is that I have just had four crashes following imports from an .oo3 file to OF, though these may have been related to the fact that the file was open in OO Professional at the time it was imported]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
... the general reply has been to consider OmniPlan, which is a project management system that supports teams (so I'm told).
OmniPlan supports planning for teams, but does not at this time really support bidirectional sharing amongst multiple users.

There are some scripts floating around that help support this to a extent, but I think that anyone who needs this feature should explore those scripts to make sure that they are an acceptable solution for your situation, before committing to OmniPlan.

It's easy to see the value of multi-user access, and it's a frequently requested feature for OmniPlan, so it's definitely high on our list of things we want to support in the future. (But no promises on exactly when that might happen or just what form it might take.)

-andrew

Since 2007, has there been any work on this?

A variation to importing and exporting is supporting multiple files like one for home and one for work, or one for each of my clients so that there info does not get mixed together.

Sadly, I haven't seen any progress on this particular issue. Because of the lack of export support, my team has given up on omnifocus. I still continue to use it heavily, but I rolled it out prematurely to my team and it was a confusing and upsetting experience for all of us. In my opinion, adding export options without relying on applescripts is essential. Of course, I would love to see full integration between various users and web integration so people can assign tasks and check progress on projects, but at this point, I would sincerely be happy with being to export project, task, and note information.

I am a loyal user who has been using this product since it was kinkless GTD and this is my only ongoing frustration. Omni development relies in part on voting for feature requests, so if you would like some more collaborative features, please let it be known by filling out a feature request.

I will continue to monitor this issue and hope that there is better printing and export options.

p.s. here is my other export rant http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...87&postcount=1 :)

Last edited by steve; 2010-08-15 at 10:41 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Sadly, I haven't seen any progress on this particular issue. Because of the lack of export support, my team has given up on omnifocus. I still continue to use it heavily, but I rolled it out prematurely to my team and it was a confusing and upsetting experience for all of us. In my opinion, adding export options without relying on applescripts is essential. Of course, I would love to see full integration between various users and web integration so people can assign tasks and check progress on projects, but at this point, I would sincerely be happy with being to export project, task, and note information.

I am a loyal user who has been using this product since it was kinkless GTD and this is my only ongoing frustration. Omni development relies in part on voting for feature requests, so if you would like some more collaborative features, please let it be known by filling out a feature request.

I will continue to monitor this issue and hope that there is better printing and export options.

p.s. here is my other export rant http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...87&postcount=1 :)
The pieces are slowly coming together. OmniFocus for iPhone 1.7 and later, OmniFocus for iPad, and OmniFocus for Mac 1.8 (currently only available as a "sneaky peek" build) all support importing actions via the omnifocus:///add URL mechanism. OmniFocus for iPad also has a button for generating an email from an action which shows action name, note, project, start/due dates, and includes a link in the format mentioned which when clicked or tapped by a user with one of the aforementioned OF versions installed will create an action with that name and note in the quick entry form. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a matching email generator in the released version of OmniFocus for Mac 1.8.

There is more delegation functionality in the pipeline beyond that, but I'll leave that to the Omni folks to describe, as I only found out the details about it via inadvertent private communication ("Ah, I hadn't realized that commit message would go straight into the beta release notes. Oops! :-)"), and there doesn't seem to be any convenient way to actually play with it because only the receiving end is hidden away in code we have. It does look pretty cool, though!