The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniCalendar? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Wouldn't it be nice to have an proper calendar app, rather than the default iCal?

I think something along the simplicity of Backpack calendar (http://www.backpackit.com/demos/cal/) plus tight intergration with OF would be a killer.

Your thoughts?

I don't know. What's wrong with iCal? It seems pretty good, particularly in Leopard. And it's got tight integration with the rest of the system. So not sure there's really much of a market or an opportunity for Omni Group to improve on the status quo.

I sent OG an e-mail about this today, actually. Here's my reasoning:

Quote:
one thing i think OF would really benefit from is a way of visualizing upcoming deadlines (ie in the form of a calendar). I'm sort of warned by the orange number but it's not enough. When I choose to end up doing tasks tends to depend a lot on how soon they're due and how soon that is in relation to other deadlines, and I can't think of any way to do this except through some visual display like in ical. So I end up adding these in a 'deadlines' calendar within ical and adding them as tasks to OF just for completeness sake, when really I end up referencing Ical to decide what to do next.

If there was some calendar component to OF, or a syncing ability that's more than just with to-dos in ical it'd be a great help here!

I think I would be more interested in some way to export dated items from OmniFocus into the iCal calendar or some kind of calendar view or display within OmniFocus itself, rather than a separate application to replace iCal.

Does anyone of you know "iwantsandy" ? Iwantsandy (http://iwantsandy.com/iwantsandy) is a virtual "email-assistant" for you... You can send "her" (in fact it's a bot ;-) ) emails about things you want to get remembered and "she"/"it" sends you emails or sms to remind you...

I would love to see this integratet in of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I think I would be more interested in some way to export dated items from OmniFocus into the iCal calendar or some kind of calendar view or display within OmniFocus itself, rather than a separate application to replace iCal.
That's exactly it.

I'm not a fan of the boinging edit panels and other funness of the new iCal, but it does work. What I would really like to have is a contextual-menu item in OF which would mark a task complete AND start the process of creating a calendar item (but this would work well only if built on synchronous syncing which OF does not have right now).

What I'd love to see is iCal/Tiger, ported to Leopard. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
. . . some kind of calendar view or display within OmniFocus itself, rather than a separate application to replace iCal.
I know it exceeds the scope of OmniFocus's purpose (at least right now), but I wanted to add another vote to consider this. I think having three modes -- planning, context, and calendar -- would be hugely useful. Not really part of the GTD workflow, but useful nonetheless.