The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A different take on sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There is a long and popular thread on syncing between Macs. I've read a good bit, but not all messages (100+), so forgive if this is covered elsewhere. It also touches on the impending iPhone version.

I'd like to see OmniFocus move to a multi-platform strategy that includes not just the Mac and iPhone, but also the web. Much like NetNewsWire for feeds, Mail for email, and Evernote for notes. This strategy allows the data store to be synced across platforms, remain up-to-date and accessible from the web at all times, and presented in user interfaces unique to the platform it is being accessed from. It also allows very rich user interactions and features that take advantage of Mac and iPhone capabilities, and for the data to be used offline when necessary.

Just my $0.02.

The biggest drawbacks here are that we either need to set up a server that's going to host sensitive user data, or we need to help everyone that wants to use this set up Dynamic DNS, punch holes in their firewalls, configure their routers, etc. so they can host the data themselves.

(The former approach has some legal issues that arise that are a bit of a concern, while the latter would be quite complicated for the support ninjas.)

Not ruling anything specifically in, or out - just giving you a snapshot of our current thinking on this subject.

Thanks, Brian, and understood. I would think the server and legal issues would be more surmountable given the low cost of storage and bandwidth and since there is significant precedence from other software companies who have sufficiently addressed the legal risk. Hoping it happens...