The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Meta system diagram structure & OF Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Seeking feedback on the hierarchy for the folders on my computer (both in Finder and in Mail) and my physical folder system.

I'm working up a meta system drawing (in OG) that has representations of my systems and their hierarchies, such as mind maps, (physical) file system, tickler file, email folders, computer folders (projects and reference), and of course, OF. I'm not listing the content of these things, just their structure. To give me (and in the future, anyone working for me) a high level view of things.

OF Projects manually and dynamically change state often (i.e., Active, Stalled, Pending, On Hold, Dropped, Completed).

I'm thinking of using just one container (for Finder, Mail, and file cabinet) for active / waiting for / on-hold / pending project folders, and then separate ones for someday/maybe, dropped, and completed. My thought here is that it would be ridiculous to have the first four grouped items as separate folders, and then be moving folders between them as their state changes in OF. I use OF as the master organizer, so not I'm reviewing projects based on the folder they live in, in Finder, Mail, and file cabinet. OTOH, it is nice to keep someday/maybe, dropped, and completed project folders in their own categories. Probably just psychological, but that's how I'm feeling about it.

I know that whatever system works is the one to use, but I thought I'd toss this out, since there are some amazing minds here that often have useful ideas.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2008-07-06 at 12:34 PM..

This is quite similar to how I have things setup.

I have the following folder structure:

*Projects support materials
*Personal
*Archived
*Work
*Archived
Each OF project that is associated with a bunch of files has a folder here.
Sometimes, when I am a good boy, I create a link to the related folder so I can access it from within OF. More often though I manually just go in there because I know that its there. I find that in the heat of battle I don't have time to manage these links so I just rely on my system.

I think that you should really minimize all micro management as much as possible. And don't forget that you have spotlight at your disposal.
Of course if you are creating structure for others to understand it might be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colicoid View Post
I think that you should really minimize all micro management as much as possible.
Boy do I hear that and constantly have to force my way in that direction, against some strong urge to do the opposite! Before I posted, I collapsed from:

Business projects (I also have a personal hierarchy)
* My projects
* Active
* Completed [etc.]
* Client projects
[...]
* Co-op projects
[...]
... to:

Business projects (I also have a personal hierarchy)
* Active
* Completed [etc.]
Sure feels better. Thanks!

Bob