PDA

View Full Version : Use PC to type tasks and sync with OmniFocus on Iphone?

houmie
2011-12-22, 01:22 AM
Hi,

I am a prospect buyer of OmniFocus. I have an Iphone 4S, but unfortunately I have no iMac. I wonder if I purchased this app would I be able to sync it with a web server, in order to modify my tasks through any PC via accessing the web server?

If the answer is yes, where could I find a web server to do this? ALternatively I could host it on my own linux server. Is there any totorial for this?

Many Thanks,

Brian
2011-12-22, 02:40 AM
A web-based interface is something we've talked about adding to the Omni Sync Server (http://omnigroup.com/sync)'s feature set, but we haven't had time to create one yet. That said, we have an open feature request on this - I'll attach your post to that in the development database so the rest of the team will know it's something you're looking for. Thanks for the help!

houmie
2011-12-22, 03:06 AM
Thanks Brian. That would be really good. Typing on a virtual keyboard is not always optimal, especially if you are not commuting and are physically sitting in front of a PC. :)

houmie
2011-12-22, 03:11 AM
Brian,

One more thing, I really need a project planner on the go and despite that missing feature from above, I can still live with it.

But is there a way to trial your software for a few days and see if it fits my needs?

Many thanks,
Houman

poekhali
2011-12-23, 01:25 PM
I use an iPhone and iPad and have been looking for a new task management solution. I am interested in Omnifocus, but its utility is severely constrained by not having a Windows or web-based interface. I have to use a PC at work and can't choose to use a Mac. I wouldn't even be able to install a Windows client on my work machine, but a web interface would work well. I have used this approach with Evernote which has become an integral part of my workflow.

Without either a web-based interface (preferable) for entering tasks or a Windows client, Omnifocus seems to lose out on a large potential market. Is one of these in the cards soon?

In the meantime, I continue to use Toodledo.

Brian
2011-12-28, 04:35 AM
Houman, we've let Apple know that we'd like the ability to offer time-limited trials of our iOS products, but we're dependent on them to make it possible; hasn't happened yet, I'm afraid.

That said, we do offer a 30-day moneyback guarantee (http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/30_day_guarantee/) on all our products, including the iOS ones. If the app doesn't work for you, we should bear that cost rather than you; we don't want to profit from selling apps folks don't need. :-)

Brian
2011-12-28, 04:37 AM
Thanks, Poekhali, I'll attach you to the feature request on a web interface, as well! It's something we'd like to do, but we don't have an ETA on when it might be ready. No plans for a Windows app in the foreseeable future, though.

pastorhudson
2012-01-14, 05:12 AM
Brian,

One more thing, I really need a project planner on the go and despite that missing feature from above, I can still live with it.

But is there a way to trial your software for a few days and see if it fits my needs?

Many thanks,
Houman

I'm a very happy customer. I started without a Mac and I rarely use omnifocus on my Mac. I use it on my iPhone and iPad. iPad has a really great "review" feature that I love! I'd say go for it. It's the premiere gtd tool :)

I found this thread that may help you too: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=22407

Armistead
2012-01-15, 07:14 PM
I too have the iPad app and the iPhone app, but I have to use a Windows 7 computer at work. Having a web interface to Omnifocus would be fantastic! Please, please consider making this a high priority.

Thanks!

Brian
2012-01-17, 01:06 PM
Added you to the feature request, Armistead - thanks!

Laurence
2012-02-19, 07:51 PM
Hi Brian

You can add me to that feature request, too. I'd like to use OmniFocus with a PC and would really appreciate a well thought-out Web interface.

Thanks
Laurence

dashiel
2012-03-01, 01:26 AM
Count me in! Web interface would be a great addition to my iPhone and iPad apps, as I don't have a Mac at work...

Thanks,

Ales

Brian
2012-03-01, 01:19 PM
Added both. Thanks!

mwn
2012-03-05, 02:04 PM
Added both. Thanks!

Can you count me too for web interface? User of Windows 7 and iphone, otherwise I will go to competition. Is there any way you could let me know by email when the web interface is ready?

jmsidhu
2012-06-14, 07:16 AM
Please add my name to the feature request. I own both the iPhone and iPad app but am stuck with a PC rather than a mac. A web app or or PC version would be fantastic.

Bryan
2012-06-15, 03:54 AM
I desperately want this feature.

kinoida
2012-06-20, 09:10 PM
Yet another vote for this feature request. Web interface would be a great addition, since typing everything on iphone can be real pain.

mhoenn
2012-06-28, 04:01 AM
Yes! Send-to-omnifocus is ok, but a web interface would be a great feature! Let's GTD!

Brian
2012-06-29, 03:09 PM
Happy to add votes for these - it'll be maximally useful if folks can say which browsers on which platforms they'd like compatibility. "Chrome on windows" for example, or "<foo> on Android" or "<bar> on Blackberry" or what have you. Thanks everyone!

mtrctyjoe
2012-07-11, 04:11 AM
Here is another vote for a web client - I love omnifocus, but in the office it is all Microsoft and IE - it is very disruptive to my workflow to type in long todo's or email them to my iphone and cut/paste them into the app on my phone. We really need a webclient - Windows and IE would be ideal, Windows with Safari would be the next best option.

pavel_voronin
2012-08-18, 01:18 PM
I really want start using OmniFocus on my computer, iPhone and iPad, omni-folks, but! But I am forced use PC with Windows 7 on it. If there was web version, I'd be the happiest man in the whole world! I prefer Chrome (stable branch) on Windows 7.

Thanks a lot.

OvatPingviini
2012-08-31, 10:37 AM
This would absolutely make my life. I too am stuck on a PC at work and have tried and failed to ever find any web-based task manager that compares. If there was a web frontend for OmniFocus I would be ever so happy to pay whatever for it.

note: I am aware of Spootnik, which is great, but far, far from full-featured...

terminater27
2012-09-15, 09:23 PM
I'd really like for there to be a web-app or windows app as well.

The iPhone app works great, but sometimes its just easier to process and capture large amounts of tasks and projects using a mouse and keyboard.

I'd be happy to pay for the web/windows app if it was as fully featured as the other apps.

avandelay
2012-09-28, 12:45 PM
Here is another vote for a web client - I love omnifocus, but in the office it is all Microsoft and IE - it is very disruptive to my workflow to type in long todo's or email them to my iphone and cut/paste them into the app on my phone. We really need a webclient - Windows and IE would be ideal, Windows with Safari would be the next best option.

As a workaround for right now, you can log in to iCloud.com and enter things into Reminders there. If you have OmniFocus for iPhone set up to capture your Siri/iCloud reminders, it will pull in whatever you've typed there. You can even enter a due time and notes (click the reminder's "Details" in iCloud) and they'll carry through. Once you sync your phone, it will show up in the Inbox and you'll just have to assign a context and project.

Obviously not as nice as a real web interface, but I find it a little easier than using email.

h2o2wine
2012-10-11, 08:14 AM
As a workaround for right now, you can log in to iCloud.com and enter things into Reminders there. If you have OmniFocus for iPhone set up to capture your Siri/iCloud reminders, it will pull in whatever you've typed there. You can even enter a due time and notes (click the reminder's "Details" in iCloud) and they'll carry through. Once you sync your phone, it will show up in the Inbox and you'll just have to assign a context and project.

Obviously not as nice as a real web interface, but I find it a little easier than using email.

Would it work (again, as a workaround only) to write tasks in a new email on the pc and send it to "send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com" ?

This assumes that you have the same email account also setup on the iPhone.

Thoughts?

-h2o2wine

BamDDee
2012-10-14, 08:13 AM
Hi Brian,

Please add me to the list as well. Even with the slick iPhone & iPad interface and SIRI/Reminder Capture, serious planning is much easier with a keyboard and mouse.

Chrome or IE on Windows 7

Woozle
2012-11-22, 08:19 AM
Just popped back to see if there had been any movement on a web interface and sadly it appears not. I stopped using OmniFocus some time ago because I had no easy way to key in all my tasks at (PC) work environment. Just too much inputting it all on the iPad, despite that app being rather good. :(