PDA

View Full Version : Where is "Show Ruler" menu item ?

Febo
2014-01-17, 12:11 AM
I just start with OmniOtliner Pro 4 and I have not found the cmd "Show Ruler", see attached screenshot. The User manual does not help.
Where is it?
Thank you & Ciao
---[Febo]

kened
2014-01-17, 02:15 AM
my guess is that it's not implemented yet. i have an icon for 'toggle ruler' which does nothing when i activate it.

personally, i've never had a need for it, and i would (again guessing!) suspect that a majority of users would feel the same, which would justify it not being included in this first release.

Febo
2014-01-17, 04:42 AM
Well the need of having ruler for text formatting may help getting a better document.
I hope it will be back with the very first update along with the possibility of having the Note expanding throughout all columns which I have not found how-to.
To be noted that these two option were available in vers. 3 .
Thanks & Ciao

orion
2014-01-17, 08:46 AM
I'm afraid that I don't have an answer on the Ruler question, as of yet. Regarding the notes questions, does the View > Show All Notes command do what you'd like?

DerekM
2014-01-17, 12:33 PM
Note expanding throughout all columns which I have not found how-to.
Thanks & Ciao

This option is the "Inline notes" setting in the Outline inspector.

DerekM
2014-01-17, 12:36 PM
I just start with OmniOtliner Pro 4 and I have not found the cmd "Show Ruler", see attached screenshot. The User manual does not help.
Where is it?
Thank you & Ciao
---[Febo]

Did you happen to open the help from OmniOutliner 3 by accident? OmniOutliner 4 no longer uses the OS help viewer and that is the OmniOutliner 3 help file you are looking at. The ruler does not exist in OO4. I will add your vote to the request to reimplement it. If you are looking to remove any tab stops or settings that would be shown on the ruler, you can still do so through the Style Attributes inspector (but can not set them).

Febo
2014-01-17, 02:00 PM
This option is the "Inline notes" setting in the Outline inspector.
No I am looking for the Note thai crossover throught all columns as a row, because the Note usually refero to' the line above.
I hope to have explain correctly my wish.
Thank you & Ciao

DerekM
2014-01-17, 02:09 PM
No I am looking for the Note thai crossover throught all columns as a row, because the Note usually refero to' the line above.
I hope to have explain correctly my wish.
Thank you & Ciao

That is what this setting is for if I'm understanding correctly. The options are whether inline notes wrap to the topic column or span across all columns.

Febo
2014-01-17, 09:48 PM
That is what this setting is for if I'm understanding correctly. The options are whether inline notes wrap to the topic column or span across all columns.

I have try but the note stays within the column space. The other Note option put it at the and of the document.
What I was looking for is the possibility of expand the Note across ALL columns and stay in the same position (below the relevant topic).
In vers. 3 this was possible... easily as Show or Hide Ruler, why these options have ben taken out ?
Ciao

kened
2014-01-18, 05:06 AM
The ruler does not exist in OO4. I will add your vote to the request to reimplement it

if there is currently no intention to reimplement the ruler, isn't the 'toggle ruler' icon redundant, if not confusing?

DerekM
2014-01-21, 10:59 AM
I have try but the note stays within the column space. The other Note option put it at the and of the document.
What I was looking for is the possibility of expand the Note across ALL columns and stay in the same position (below the relevant topic).

It is what this setting is for.

http://people.omnigroup.com/dmo/images/Notes.png

If it is not working for you, please send in a a sample document to omnioutliner@omnigroup.com and we'll be happy to help you get this working.

In vers. 3 this was possible... easily as Show or Hide Ruler, why these options have ben taken out ?

The ruler had nothing to do with this. If you had to use the ruler before then it sounds like your text has extra attributes on it causing it to wrap. You can still remove these through the Style Attributes inspector. Select the note text and take a look at what values show in the Style Attributes inspector. Click the 'x' to the right of it to remove them.

DerekM
2014-01-21, 11:05 AM
if there is currently no intention to reimplement the ruler, isn't the 'toggle ruler' icon redundant, if not confusing?

That icon is not made available in 4. If you see it that is due to customizing the toolbar in OO3. The icon does exist which is why you see one but it there's no way to add it without the use of OO3.

kened
2014-01-23, 05:35 AM
that icon is not made available in 4. If you see it that is due to customizing the toolbar in oo3. The icon does exist which is why you see one but it there's no way to add it without the use of oo3.

ic