The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Omni Focus on iPhone 3G crashed Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think app management is just plain a bit buggy in the 2.0 release. I've had a number of apps crash repeatedly (including safari, which crashes more often then it used to). I've had apps that have to be reinstalled to work. OmniFocus once even completely crashed the phone (or some resource it called, I'm not blaming Omni). As soon as I touched the icon, the screen flickered and then white apple logo and reboot.

-P

I am using OmniFocus on an iPod Touch. It is currently crashing about every 3rd time I start it. But it is not just the app that crashes, but the entire iPod.

When home I'll grab the crash log from iTunes and email it to support.

Quote:
In general, we'd recommend trying to keep the number of actions on your phone down below a thousand.
In my case I only had around six actions. I'm a new user and was in test mode with only the stock projects and one test project.

After removing and re-synchronizing data, the problem hasn't happened again. However I've had an extremely busy day and only ran the app three times today.

I have a iPhone 2.5G (EDGE). I have downloaded about 15 apps. The last two apps I downloaded were the game 'Aurora Feint' and 'OmniFocus'. Of all the 15 apps. These are the only two apps that failed. And of the two OmniFocus crashed about 7 times within half hour. Unlike the previous posts, mine doesn't crash while loading but, it would crash sometime during assigning a task to a context or while creating a new task or project or while recording audio for a task. It used to take upto half a minute to load but, of late, it has improved considerably. Everytime, it crashes, I just reboot and continue my work (I don't know what else to do). I do not own the desktop version of OminFocus yet.

Thank you.

NOTE: As mentioned above, I have only about 6 actions and one project.

Last edited by PSKR; 2008-07-15 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention my database overload.

I did all this plus restored my Iphones software.
Omniplan tries to start and then quits. The status bar doesn't make it past 1/4 and it switches to the apps viewer.

Not to mention it took over 4 hours to get it syncing properly between my powerbook G4. And now that it did. It doesn't work on the Iphone.

So much for productivity. back to pencil and paper. AGAIN!

Last edited by 1/2Astronaut; 2008-07-15 at 08:40 AM..

So yes I have blown yesterday and today goofing around with Omnifocus for the iphone. I had it working. Even managed to sync it which took forever. (Better directions please!!!!!)

Symptom: Omnifocus refuses to launch on the iphone. It starts, the status bar gets about 1/4" of the way and the iphone reverts to the home screen.

What I tried.
Deleting omnifocus from itunes apps and reinstalling (did this twice)
Restoring the factory settings on the Iphone and reinstalling all of my data.
Deleting third party apps. except omnifocus and syncing.
Resetting the iphone like 5 times.

None of this worked. Any ideas?

Voila,

This seemed to have cured my ills. Hold down the omnifocus icon on the iphone til it wobbles. tap the x in the corner to delete it and re-sync your iphone. Lets see how long it lasts.

Apple support has been clogged all morning. Finally got through to this.
:)
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1702

Last edited by 1/2Astronaut; 2008-07-15 at 09:27 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
For the most part, this appears to be happening to folks that have more actions in their database than the iPhone can hold in memory at once. Once memory runs out, the phone shuts the app down.

In OmniFocus 1.1, we added a new "Archive Old Data..." item under the File menu. It will move older actions over to a separate database file that isn't synced with your phone. This way, you have access to your older actions when you need to refer to them back on your desktop, but your phone doesn't run out of memory.

In general, we'd recommend trying to keep the number of actions on your phone down below a thousand.

So, the procedure here would be:
  • Back up database on desktop
  • Archive data on desktop
  • Synch on desktop
  • Synch on phone

Does that help the crashes?

I say BS to that. I just purchased the program and only have one item, ONE item, not over a thousand. And it crashes all the time.

I'm amazed that Apple couldn't make their official app store work better than the jailbreak app installer. To be fair to Omni, I think I've had nearly every single add-on app crash at least one time on me. I think there's an underlying issue that seems to be worse with any apps that attempt to use locations or attempt to sync data. Focus does both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel View Post
I say BS to that. I just purchased the program and only have one item, ONE item, not over a thousand. And it crashes all the time.
You did notice he said "for the most part" right? Don't you think it possible that there might be another bug which the people whose phones are crashing don't encounter?

I've never known Omni to regard anything that causes one of their apps to crash as inconsequential.