PDA

View Full Version : AdBlock: Import/sync filter list

musti
2006-07-11, 06:31 PM
Would be nice to have:

1. Import a .txt file containing the regex filter list directly. Currently I open up the OmniWeb .plist file and add those regexes as child items (faster than adding them thru the UI in Prefs).

2. Sync like how AdBlock on Fx does it: via a central server, adding new stuff as it is updated.

3. A seperate block and whitelist not buried in OmniWeb's main plist.

Handycam
2006-07-12, 03:11 AM
Would be nice to have:
A seperate block and whitelist not buried in OmniWeb's main plist.

Yes! This would facilitate moving rules from one Mac to another.

WebJIVE
2006-07-13, 06:52 PM
I figured out how to add/import the filterset.g black list if anyone is interested. It takes a third part tool to covert it from binary to ascii but it's pretty easy.

[edit] Even better, plutil is free and included with OSX. It will convert the binary com.omnigroup.Omniweb5.plist to ascii and back to binary. Once converted to ascii, use your favorite editor to add regex strings to your hearts content then convert it back to binary.

plutil -convert xml1 com.omnigroup.Omniweb5.plist (convert to ascii)
plutil -convert binary1 com.omnigroup.Omniweb5.plist (convert to bianry)

Remember to back com.omnigroup.Omniweb5.plist up first!!!!

I used bbEdit to markup the filterset.g blacklist and pasted it in. I think it's working right.. I'll get back to you on that.

musti
2006-07-15, 02:09 PM
Even better, plutil is free and included with OSX. It will convert the binary com.omnigroup.Omniweb5.plist to ascii and back to binary. Once converted to ascii, use your favorite editor to add regex strings to your hearts content then convert it back to binary.

plutil -convert xml1 com.omnigroup.Omniweb5.plist (convert to ascii)
plutil -convert binary1 com.omnigroup.Omniweb5.plist (convert to bianry)

Thanks for the heads-up on this one.
Yes, it works beautifully :)

philippgerard
2006-07-16, 02:41 AM
I'd prefer an online-updated list... :)

philippgerard
2006-08-24, 06:01 PM
Since the usability of this adblocking-"addon" is - well - crappy, I used the /private/etc/hosts-file to block ads permanently. Use this exemplary file (http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serverlist.php?hostformat=adblock&showintro=0&startdate%5Bday%5D=&startdate%5Bmonth%5D=&startdate%5Byear%5D=&mimetype=plaintext) and add the contents using "sudo pico /private/etc/hosts".

zottel
2006-08-29, 01:23 PM
Hmmm ... is that Firefox AdBlock thing for free or do you have to pay for it? If it's free, it shouldn't be too difficult to write a little perl script (or whatever your preferred scripting language is) to download the AdBlock list and use the abovementioned plutil to incorporate this list into OW's adblocking list.

Just to mention it: If this is no weird binary format—yes, I'd be able to do that. But I don't feel the need for it, as the few regular expressions I use seem to block virtually everything on the sites I frequent. If someone is willing to pay me for it, though, I would do it, of course. :-}